Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ice Rods For Macs?
Wondering if any of you guys had any advice on what brands/models of ice rods work well for Macs at the Gorge? I noticed last year I lost a lot of the fish I hooked in deeper water to poor hookset. I was thinking I might get some braided line (no stretch) to help this issue, but really think a stiffer and maybe slightly longer rod would go a long ways too. Any suggestions?
[signature]
Not sure if you’re going after the pups or the big boys, but for me, two different set ups for each. For the deep water big boys, I use a 40-48” rod with med/heavy action. Enough sensitivity to detect the bite, and enough backbone to get them in.

The key for me is the reel. I prefer Abu Garcia bait casters. Smooth drag is the kicker. Last, the line. I use P-line 15lb flouro coated line. Been great to use. Braid for me has been terrible with it absorbing water and freezing, but to each their own.
Pups are always fun but for this post I'm looking for rod info for those deeper chunkier fish. As you said 40-48" rods with more backbone than those generally made for trout/panfish. Any specific brands/models come to mind?

I'd like to try some of the coated braid ice lines as they are supposed to resist water absorption and freezing but most I've seen only come in 50-75 yard spools. Tieing splices in line I'm hoping to fight a 20+lb fish on doesn't seem optimal. If anyone knows of a brand that sells larger spools of ice braid I'd love that info too.
[signature]
I have no personal experience yet, but I've seen adds on ksl for custom made flaming gorge jigging rods that seem like they'll do the trick for a reasonable price. Might be an option. I'm considering one for myself and am also interested on others' opinions
[signature]
I haven't fished Flaming George except once with Captain Jim, which was great. I do fish Bear Lake a fair bit jigging for the Lake Trout. Everybody's got a little different setup they like for jigging. For the last couple of years I've been using 4'9" heavy action Ugly Stick rods with a baitcasting reel. Those Ugly Sticks aren't the prettiest things out there, but they were only $40 each and I've actually really liked them. The tip is plenty sensitive to feel bites in deep water, and they have plenty of backbone for setting the hook on and landing larger fish. I got mine at Sportsman's Warehouse. I've seen nicer rods, but usually they are custom built and $100+. If you've got the cash, Captain Jim custom makes the rods he uses while guiding on the Gorge. They are 47", and you can get baitcast or spinning grip. His website says he's selling them for $170. Pricey, but they are really great rods, and that's what his clients use for even the biggest fish.

The rod is important, but the reel is also pretty critical. I find a level-wind reel to be easier to control and deal with when it's cold. But, not all of the baitcasters I've tried have a good drag on them. The cheap ones like the Abu Garcia Black Max perform OK, but when they are cold the drag isn't as good. When I've got some cash I'm going to upgrade to some Shimano Calcuttas. Good reels.

For line, I've been using Berkley Fire Line. It's a braid, but it's fused, so it doesn't soak up water and freeze like some of the other braids I've used. No stretch and small diameter. Spider wire is junk, don't waste your time/money. I've been using 14 lb test Fireline, and I probably wouldn't go any heavier than that even for really big fish. When you are done fishing, you can use that stuff to pull your truck out of snow bank. With a good setup (rod and reel with good drag), you don't need really heavy line. When you load it on your reel, put some backing or monofilament on first because sometimes braid will slip on your reel when it's really cold if you don't have some backing. You can get Fireline online in spools of up to 1500 yd, so if you can't find a 150 yd spool somewhere, you might have to order some. I think I bought mine at Wal-Mart. I also use a 15 lb test fluorocarbon leader. I think my hooking and landing success went way up when I switched. I used to break a lot of fish off at the hole, but I haven't really had problems with that since I went to fluorocarbon leader.
[signature]
I use a Jim Williams made laker rod for the boat. Around 45 to 48 inches long. Ice fishing a dave gentz clam split grip 36" medium heavy. Probably could get a thorns bros laker 45" rod. There are lots of ice rods that can handle a laker. Just preference.[fishon]
[signature]
I use 15 lbs florocarbon line. [fishon]
[signature]
Thanks for the info on the fireline. I'd seen some websites that listed it as an ice fishing line while others didn't. Makes more sense now with the fused construction. I will definately be taking another look at it.

The larger spool sizes is a huge plus. At the Gorge I normally rig 4 poles for myself and son to jig actively with (I would like braid on these). 4 reels with 200+ yard line capacity each can eat a spool, even a large one, up in a hurry.
[signature]
Did a quick google search and I really like the Dave Gentz Split grips you mentioned. From their specs it looks like they have a few options that should certainly fit the bill without breaking the bank.

Do you know where I can check out Jim Williams ice rods? Lots of info on the guide service but couldn't find anything on his rods.
[signature]
Captain Jim uses a 7 foot IM6 CRB rod and cuts a section out to get the right action he wants. He uses fuji hardloy guides cork handle graphite reel seat. I’m not too sure of the length but it’s close to 50in. I can build you one any length, action what ever you want. Or you can get one of captain Jim’s.
[signature]
I also have a custom rod from Jim. It’s my go to rod. High quality!!
Just contact Jim and ask about a rod. Same number and email as his guide service. He usually makes them in the offseason which is I believe now for him. [fishon]
[signature]
I use a shimano Cardiff with the Jim Williams rod. Others use higher end shimano baitcasters. I use a eagle claw inline magnum reel with my dave gentz rods. [fishon]
[signature]
I'd second Fishdude's recommendation on the ugly sticks, they work pretty well at Bear Lake, I've pulled in some pretty nice cuts and macs, not 30+ lbers but if you're setting up for 6 rods each, they may fit your budget better than custom rods.... They do mine... I'd like to get a nice custom rod for my active pole, but so far haven't put that into my budget... Good luck... J
[signature]
i aslo built a few like this and they work well. from Mudhole.com
[signature]
I also use the Ugly Stik 4'9" heavy action with 12 lb fluorocarbon and a okuma ceymer spinning reel.
[signature]
I definately like ugly sticks ice rods in general. I think I have 5 in the 30-36" range. They are the only rods I've had hold up well to jawjackers as of yet. I like that they are strong enough for most large utah fish and if I want to use them for smaller panfish I can just attach a spring bobber to get that little extra sensitivity. I will definately have too take a look at their larger rods for macs too.

I have in past years set up 6 rods each for myself and jr (with mixed results [Wink] ). So adding a lot of new rods isn't necessary. Just as you said hoping to get 1-2 of myself and jr's most active jigging rods upgraded.
[signature]
Have you ever ran into problems with flouro in cold weather? I'd read somewhere it can get brittle in "cold" fishing conditions. They didn't really state a temperature range just "cold" so not sure if they meant Utah cold or Minnesota cold [laugh]
[signature]
Anyone have any experience with the Clam, Jason Mitchell MACK rods? Held one at Smith & Edwards today and it felt pretty nice. At $45 it was not astronomically priced either.
[signature]
Never and that is all I run is florocarbon on my ice reels. [fishon]
[signature]