Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Parts of a lure that makes fish bite
As anyone can see from the many pictures I've posted of fish and the lures that caught them, lure action is key ; poor action = fewer or no fish caught. As I've discovered in the last few years, there are parts of every lure that causes it to act in a certain way. Between lures of the same type but from different sources, there is usually something that sets them apart for better or worse.

Shape is a key ingredient to how a lure acts / moves. Lure shape can be broken down into dimensions (diameter, length), body shape and tail shapes. Depending on angler imparted action, a combination of shapes can work like magic. Take the Senko for example.
1. the ends are blunted
2. the thicker than usual body gives the lure weight
These simple shapes plus the material used to make a Senko account for the large number of bass caught.

Another example is the Slider Worm.
The body has a small diameter but more important has a paddle tail that tapers to two sharp edges - similar to a spear. This allows a phenomenal body/tail action no other worm design is capable of.

The Kut Tail worm isn't striking to look at, but rig it on a 1/32 oz jig and see how amazing the action - all due to design. Unlike most plastic worm sold, the body tapers from front to back and has a tail in the shape of a Turkish sword. When I first looked at it I didn't see what the big deal was until I used the rod to twitch the lure back and forth on a light jig head in weed pockets. Bass when nuts taking it down!

For both the Senko and Kut Tail, Gary Y has invented a certain plastic mix/ composition that makes those lures incredible. Not so with his grubs - average curl tails that rarely outperform other curl tail grubs.

When I make plastic lures in new designs, I pay attention to the above especially when a lure exhibits a unique action and catches fish. All of it makes a difference to a fish that hunts it's prey using its lateral line and keen vision.

Just a thought on a cold winter's day.
[signature]