Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Loads of Snapper, Keeper Sheepshead & A Hogfish: Bonita Beach, FL Fishbuster Dave
[cool][font "Arial"][size 2]Monday was still too rough to get offshore. The 13 foot seas of Sunday night kept things stirred up in the Gulf, with large swells. Tuesday, however, Dick Leonard and friend, Mark, decided to brave the residual 3-4 foot seas and 15 knot winds with me, southwest of May reef, in 28 feet. We caught two keeper sheepshead to 17 inches, and kept two limits of a total eight limits of mangrove snapper, to 14 inches. We probably caught over fifty keeper-sized mangrove snapper in just one spot. We caught fish steadily for over three hours, before the bite slowed a bit. [/size][/font][font "Arial"][#ff0000][size 2][/size][/#ff0000][/font][font "Arial"][size 2]

Wednesday and Thursday, another front activated the small craft advisory again, with 6-8 foot seas predicted, so we were once again forced into being landlubbers. I got back offshore Friday, and fished with the Don Lewis party at the Bonita reefs. Using live shrimp, we caught twenty-two mangrove snapper to 14 inches, keeper sheepshead, and released small Spanish mackerel and porgies.

Fishing Saturday in 38 feet off Bonita with Joel & Ellen Bednerek, their newlywed son, Jeff and wife Lisa, and friends Jim & Nancy, we caught nineteen mangrove snapper to 15 inches, a 17 inch hogfish, keeper sheepshead and porgies. We released grouper shorts. For full info and fish photos by species, please visit [/size][/font][url "http://www.fishbustercharters.com/"][font "Arial"][#0000ff][size 2]www.fishbustercharters.com[/size][/#0000ff][/font][/url][font "Arial"][size 2] [/size][/font]
[signature]
I really enjoy your fishig reports. That is a good pic of a spanish mack. What are you usually catching them on over there? Here in Cali, we use salt flies or pieces of Mack. Those seem to work the best.
[signature]
[cool]Thanks--Glad you enjoy the reports. I catch the Spanish mackerel around here on live shrimp...In fact, I catch 90% of everything I catch on shrimp! Never been to your coast...Bet it is a whole different scene there.
[signature]
It is quite a bit different here. 80% squid usage and 19% chovies. That leaves us guessing only 1% of the time. Tight lines and Burnin thumbs buddy. Keep the reports coming.
[signature]
[cool]Will do--Won't be too much to report this week--A front just arrived, with 64-6 foot seas forecast for most of this week! Good fishing to you--Guessing only 1% of the time is pretty darn good.
[signature]
Between peltering rains and soaring gas prices, the fishing has been a little slow the last couple of days here too. Looks like this weekend will be nice for a change. Hope you do well my friend. tight lines
[signature]