Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EXCELLENT Sailfishing and Tarpon Fishing Off Miami, Florida
This past week has been one whirlwind for fishing. If you like sailfishing, it has been EXCELLENT. If you like daytime tarpon fishing, it has been EXCELLENT. If you like evening/night time tarpon fishing it has been EXCELLENT.

Monday evening, Adam and Bob went 3 for 5 on tarpon on the south side of Government Cut. Adam's comment was that it was like swordfishing except with scaled down tackle. He now has another type of fishing where he doesn't need sunblock.

Tuesday evening, Jim also went 3 for 5 at the same place. The highlight of the evening was the fish we hooked up at 9 PM and fought for 2 hours. It took us west in the main channel up to the cruise ship area. We never saw the fish nor did it jump. It fought deep the entire time and it seemed like it didn't even know it was hooked for the first hour. After 2 hours, the line parted and we were only disappointed that we didn't get to see the fish. It was a great warrior and put on a great battle.

Wednesday it was offshore for some sailfish action. We put our first baits in the water at about 1 PM. Our first fish was on a flatline. The second on the kite.

Thursday we made it offshore a bit earlier. The air waves were full of anglers reporting double and triple hook ups. Fish were being caught on tackle from 4 pound test up. All of our action came on the kite in the form of single strikes. The good news was that we had 5 opportunities. The bad was that our hook up ratio was terrible. We ended the day catching 1 of the 5 fish.

All the action on Wednesday and Thursday took place from the Miami Sea Buoy south to the Monument Buoy. The depth ranged from 100 - 130 feet. The interesting thing about Thursday was that the vast majority of the action was taking place in the powder blue water, not the hard blue.

Friday morning, Paul wanted some tarpon action. Once again the south side of Government Cut came through. There were lots of fish rolling both in the main channel and on the south side. We started on the south side and caught 1 of the 2 fish we hooked. Dropping a bait deep in the main channel produced a large keeper grouper while lots of non feeding tarpon were rolling all around us.

Saturday it took us until 3 PM before we got our reward with sailfish. The action was not quite as good as in the mid week time frame and it was much more spread out. Our reward was a double hook up on the kite with goggle eyes.

Saturday evening was probably the most disappointing of all trips this week. The wind had picked up to 21-24 mph from the east. The south side of Government gave us quite a bit of protection. We had 2 tarpon on briefly. The disappointing thing was that they both threw the hook after coming up and jumping immediately after taking the live shrimp.

The wind was too high for my Sunday customers, so I got the day off to perform some much needed maintenance and catch up some on my sleep.

The fishing action is great. Give me a call so you can get in on it. I've only got a few days open in March and April is filling up fast. Don't delay and get left out. Also, for you dolphin enthusiasts, in April you can expect some of the largest fish of the season to start showing up. See you out on the rip.

Captain Dave Kostyo
Knot Nancy Fishing Charters
305 620-5896 Charter
305 732-2628 Beeper
www.knotnancy.com
nkostyo@bellsouth.net
[signature]