Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mostly Sheepshead & Some Slow Fishin': SW FL Fishbuster Dave
[cool][font "Arial"][size 2]I fished Monday with Robyn & Mary Fish, and Mary’s dad, Ed, at the Bonita reefs. Fishing was slow, and conditions a bit sloppy, but toward the latter part of the morning we started catching nice sheepshead, and landed six of those to 18 inches. We had one larger sheepshead hooked, but a goliath grouper got to that one before we could boat it. We also caught a 15 inch triggerfish, which is quite large for that species.

Tuesday, I just beat the rain fishing with the Bill Schraeder party in 3-4 foot seas, around the reefs, where we again cleaned up on nice sheepshead—nine of those to 19 inches—along with three Spanish mackerel to 20 inches and a 14 inch triggerfish. We released gag grouper shorts to 18 inches.

Jeff Kirk, friend also named Jeff, and father-in-law Richard Heimlich braved 3-4 foot seas with me on Wednesday at the Bonita reefs, where we used live shrimp to cull nine sheepshead to 4 pounds, and Spanish mackerel to 23 inches. We released lots of gag grouper shorts to 21 inches. We had a fun encounter with a goliath grouper that tried to eat one of our catches. We tried to catch that goliath on 80 # test, had a good fight, but he broke the line before we could get him photographed.

Fishing was slow Thursday in 25 feet off Bonita, with the Bob Coolmyer party. We caught keeper mangrove snapper, grunts, and porkfish. We released lots of blue runners, and saw some Spanish mackerel, but did not get any of those to bite a shrimp.

I fished Estero Bay Friday, for the first time in a long time. Fishing with Frank & Nancy Bordner, son David, and Nancy’s dad, we caught sheepshead, two of which were keepers. We were fishing along the channel toward Wiggins Pass—Fishing has been a bit slow the past few days, both gulfside and bayside.[/size][/font]

I tried central Estero Bay again on Saturday, with the Art Arteberry party. Winds were gusty and easterly, which made for a lower tide, and fishing was again slow. We caught sheepshead, and released small Spanish mackerel and jack cravalle. The attached photo is of young angler, Reagan, with an 18 inch sheepshead, caught on a recent Fishbustter Charter. For full info and fish photo-album, please visit [url "http://www.fishbustercharters.com/"][#0000ff]www.fishbustercharters.com[/#0000ff][/url]
[signature]
Hey Fishbuster, It sounds like you had a decent day. Those sheepshead are fun to catch as well as being ugly little buggers. Thanks for the nice report and we look forward to future reports as well.

Happy Fishing.
[signature]
[cool] Yep, they are fun to catch, especially the good sized ones. Glad you enjoyed the report. If our winds and seas ever let up, iIll be out there again!
[signature]
On the West coast we are starting to see some warmer waters. All the normal species are getting ready for their moments of passion. Feel free to check out the reports on the CA board. We have a sub board on the CA just for the Saltwater fishing reports.
[signature]
[cool]Sounds like you will be in store for some good fishing soon--Bet you get your share off winds on your coast too...Goodluck out there!
[signature]
There is plenty of wind. You just have to cast inbetween the gusts and you do just fine. ha ha. For the most part, the winds are generally calm. There are only certain days that it can get a little annoying.

All in all, inspite the slow inshore season that we had, I still managed to have some fun.
[signature]
[cool]Fun is what it's all about...Can't say I had much of that yesterday...After cancelling all my offshore trips this week, with seas of 4-6 feet out there, I did take a backwater trip yesterday...But with gusts close to 30 mph, even staying anchored was a chore...I hope your weather is treating you better than ours is treating us right now...Good fishing to you1
[signature]
We have the full Spring effect here right now. That should be done by tomorrow. ha ha. Summer comes extra early for us and so do the big fishys. The yellowtail are going nuts all over the southern coast and the Tuna are storming the sea as well. There's plenty to be caught and the weathers fairing nicely.

Tight lines to you bro.
[signature]
[cool]Love those yellowtails--I get those here for a short period of time. For tuna, we have to head way south to the Keys. Still blowin' like crazy here...Cancelled the whole week, so you can catch for both of us this week!
[signature]
I'll do my best. I may be bass hunting this weekend but I'll be goind out to Catalina Island next weekend. There is a good run of yellows and white sea bass circling the island right now. They usually hang out for the summer.[cool]
[signature]