Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newer Dodge Truck Owners
[size 2] [font "Comic Sans MS"] Recently my 2002 Dodge Ram fell victim to the dead battery syndrome. All attempts to jump start it failed, could get it started as long as my foot was on the gas but wouldn't stay running when the gas pedal was released. A service rep told me take when a battery fails the "Brain" loses touch with reality, but when it registers voltage it will reset and find it's way. That's done by, once started hold RPM's at around 700 for a few minutes. That should reset the "Brain" and you're good to go. Being the type of person I am, I thought well if 700 RPM's work than 2000 should work better, faster. NOT. Made 2 attempts one at 2000 and one at 2500 all to no avail. The third try I held around 700 RPMs and tada, it stayed running. Off to the parts house I went. Technology is a wonderfull flippin' thing. [/font] [/size]

[size 2] [font "Comic Sans MS"] David [/font] [/size]
[signature]
So the moral of the story is, stick with 700 rpm's, nothing higher.

And to think, I actually contemplated getting a Dodge. Teach me to think about leaving Chevy.
[signature]
Power maker does this apply to the dodges with the cummins or just the gas ones?
[signature]
My sentiments exactly[Wink]...
[signature]
[size 2] [font "comic Sans MS"] I'm not too sure, my truck is gas. It is my understanding that in 2002 they revamped everything on the gas side, new engine, trany and probably computer system. The diesel side may have an older operating system. [/font] [/size]

[size 2] [font "comic Sans MS"] David [/font] [/size]
[signature]
[size 2] [font "comic Sans MS"] A late reply. I've had a few Chevy's and the last one put a real bad taste in my mouth. After years of nickel and dimeing ($500-$1000) me to the brink of bankruptcy. I was in the market for a new truck. Had to have 4 doors and a V8. Ford was out of the question the back seat was too small. GM was way too proud of there trucks and didn't want to deal. So that left me with Dodge, they fit the criteria, they were willing to deal, so that's the one I have. [/font] [/size]

[size 2] [font "comic Sans MS"] David [/font] [/size]
[signature]
A friend of mine has a newer Chevy with the chip in the key they had a new key made but didn't know it didn't have the chip it worked the locks and ignition fine only one problem when you used the key the truck thought it was being stolen so it would start but then would shut right back down. This cause some real problems first the battery goes down from trying to start it then the tow bill to the garage then hours at the garage because no one can get past the head scratching faze. Once it was figured out a new battery was put in and an original key used the problem was solved. So make sure you buy the 70.00 replacement keys from the dealers.
[signature]
[size 2] [font "comic Sans MS"] As previous stated "Technology is a wonderfull flippin' thing" [/font] [/size]
[signature]
Better just stick with TOYOTA then BABY! I have a 1990 Toyota pickup (Tacoma style) that looks more like a 95 or 96 cause it's still in such good shape. It has 170,000 miles on it and still going strong! V6, 4x4 this thing goes anywhere! Can't beat it off road that's for sure. Has 31 inch tires, skid plates, and geared quite low. I know when I can afford a newer one I'm sticking with Toyota for sure! Not sure if I'll go for a Tacoma or a Tundra![cool]
[signature]
Exactly. Stick with foreign. The parts cost twice as much as American but they last 4 times longer.

I'm hoping to save up for a Toyota or Nissan. Wish I would have driven my Toyota to MN when I moved instead of selling it and flying up here.
[signature]
the Sad part is the amreican made stuff is made in the same place the foriegn made stuff is, not in this contry.... and it is priced as if it were.....
[signature]
yes, it's Sad that there's interchangeable parts. I remember when I had a Mazda. I needed to replace the alternator. A new one cost $130, a used one was $115. Then a friend of mine who's uncle is a mechanic grabbed one from a Mercury for $50, rebuilt. Identical pieces. Crazy world we live in.
[signature]