Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lake Lewisville
[Smile] WOW what a saturday! we only had a few hours to fish due to family plans but I am so glad we went! We started out arount 7:45 am and I was trying to get my 5hp gamefisher motor to work with a 4hp lawnmower carb as my old carb was messed up badly, everything went ok for about a 1/4 mile then the motor overheated badly, I was pretty depressed as I have been having nothing but problems with this motor since I bought it, and I cannot afford another one. Anyway we really wanted to get this motor running because all summer long we have been stuck in one cove by the house with the trolling motor.

So we were down for the count, but fortunately we were still in the cove and could make it back to the dock with the trolling motor. I moved the motor up and dropped the trolling motor and started the fishfinder, we were in 9 ft of water about 20 yards from the east bank with alot of uncleared treeline within casting distance to the shore, and the temp was 83.

Saw a school of shad under the boat, stopped the motor and told my son to cast his bagly bass colored deep diver around the old treeline in 6ft of water. I casted a chartruce 1/2 oz rattletrap and WHAM hooked into a BIG BASS, it took drag and I pulled hard trying to set the hook, It jumped and threw the bait 10 feet! ARRG! I got a really good look at that fish and it was at LEAST 7lbs!. I imediately tried a texas rigged worm in the area for 2 casts. I told my son.. "Man I thought I set the hook good, crap!" He wont bite again for a while", I casted the rattletrap again and WHAM hooked into another big bass, this time I was determined to set the hook good into that tough mouth so I pulled HARD, and fought it till it got wrapped around a treelimb in 5ft water. I pulled the lure free without a bass. I casted three more times and got hits 2 times.

My son said he's been hung up for a while, and I told him I was not going to go get into that school with the boat because it would scare the fish so I asked him to break it off by pulling hard. He yanked his pole and I saw his line moving sideways, He had a monster fish that apparently was also around a stump for 3 or 4 minutes before coming undone, He fought it for a good 5 minutes I had the net in my hand when the bass finally got close to the boat, It was hardly fighting, so I at first thought it was a carp, Apparently he and the stump wore it out. I reached over and grabbed his line with my hand to pull the fish into the net and as soon as I pulled, SNAP. His knot unwound!.. Hard lesson for a 10 year old to tie knots correctly. He apparently did not tie it the way he was taught, I bet that is the last time he ties one wrong!. Anyway he had a great time fighting that fish, it might have been a record bass.

9:20 am, On the green and chartruce rattletrap hooked into one after many hits, It was big! landed and wheighed in at 5lbs even on my rapala scale and 20 1/2 long, VERY FAT, been gorging himself.

Dropped a Buoy and tied my son on a rattletrap. He hooked into two but lost both, (Note to self, Buy son a med heavy rod).

Retied my rattle trap because the line had a nick in it and then the phone rang.... ARRGG, not now...

Wife called and wanted us to leave by 10:00, it was now 9:30am and we had only been fishing 30 minutes because we worked on the motor so long.

Son hooked into one more before we trolled the 1/4 mile back to the launch, ran into a fellow basser using a spinnerbaid on a 2ft deep point on the west sunny side, and told him where the school of big bass was on the east side, and what bait to use, he wasted no time powering up to run accross the cove.

Hope he had as much fun as we did.

Sean
[signature]