Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hurricane Jeanne - Another Near Miss For The Miami, FL Area
Nancy and I returned from our yearly vacation to Marco just in time for Hurricane Jeanne. Now, enough is enough with those darned hurricanes. We don't like you, we don't want you, and please tell any of your future relatives to stay away from Florida you are just not welcome. The only welcome hurricanes are those from the University of Miami. I have become way to proficient with putting up the shutters and then taking them down. Miami has been very fortunate in that we have not had a direct hit. The wind that we have experienced with the passing of each hurricane has not been much worst than an afternoon thunderstorm with the exception that the wind and rain lasted for a longer period of time. The highest hourly wind reading I saw at Fowey Light with Hurricane Jeanne was 49.5 mph with gusts to 55 mph. Damages in Miami we very minimal with a few trees blown over, branches blown off trees, and some power outages. The weather has cleared, the seas have calmed down, and it's time to get back to fishing in our area. For those who have planned their vacation to Miami, there is no need to even consider canceling. Come on down, everything is just like you remember it from your last vacation.

The fishing in Marco so far this wade season has been OK. Many of the sandbars have shifted, the Gulf is still a bit on the muddy side, but clearing more each day, and some of the most productive holes in past years now have very few fish. With all this less than good news, the bright side is that new holes and channels have opened and are beginning to hold fish. The variety of fish are still there. Each cast with the Kaplan 1/4 oz jig in pink/white or chartreuse/white could catch a catfish, ladyfish, jack crevalle, seatrout, pompano, or snook. This kind of fishing also will help you improve your casting, jigging, and light tackle fishing techniques as 4 and 6 pound test line will handle most any fish you'll hook. Fly fishing enthusiast too, can enjoy the variety and openness this area has to offer. On Monday (9/20) Fred & Eileen Clark and Faye Naylor joined me for some fast and furious action during the morning. Everyone caught multiple fish, and Faye caught her first several fish using a jig. It didn't take her long to get the hang of the jigging technique and the cooperating fish made it that much more fun. On the last day of our vacation, a larger stretch of the Gulf had cleared up. With this improvement, came schools of snook cruising in the surf no more than 20' from the shore. Talk about your opportunity for fly fishing. The thing to remember is that the season is a short one. By the first week in November, the water temperature will drop enough so that it will become to uncomfortable for wading. Give me a call at 305 620-5896 or email at nkostyo@bellsouth.net for more information or to book your wade fishing date.

Meanwhile, back on the Miami side, the fall fishing season started as if on queue. The mullet runs are taking place. Tarpon, snook, jacks, and sharks are having a field day feeding on them. Sailfish are cooperating offshore, as well as some dolphin and kingfish. Dates in October are starting to fill in, so don't hesitate and lose out on the good fishing action. If you're planning on coming on down for the Ft. Lauderdale Boat Show, you might want to consider coming down a day or two early or staying a day or two afterwards and get in a fishing trip also.

Now is also the time to start thinking about booking your trip for the winter tarpon and sailfish season. A very popular way to target both species is with an afternoon/evening trip. You get to sleep in, fish offshore for sails in the afternoon and then come inshore to challenge the mighty tarpon during the evening. And speaking of winter, the Holiday season will be upon us again very shortly. Don't forget to order your Fishing Trip Gift Certificate for that special angler in your life. Contact me early so you can get the dates you want.

Captain Dave Kostyo
Knot Nancy Fishing Charters
305 620-5896 Charter
305 732-2628 Beeper
305 965-9454 Cell
www.knotnancy.com
nkostyo@bellsouth.net
[signature]
them ocean swerls are making me a nervous reck. and I live in michigan...[crazy]
[signature]
It wacked us good here in Tampa!
[signature]
I hope ya didnt sit there through it...
that is some rough business....
[signature]