Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yes Virginia there is a Santa ssor.
Yes Virginia there is a Santa Clause.

This Santa works all year like the fabled Santa of the north. Unlike our north pole Santa this one delivers year round.

I had the privilege of meeting this jolly ole sole several years back doing what he doses best, rebuilding computers and delivering them to this nation’s disabled children, one computer at a time.
He receives no payment for his labor of love other than the joy of knowing he has lightened the hearts of those who would otherwise not have the advantages of other children who are not faced with tremendous medical bills.

And who is this Santa one might ask? He is none other than our own Texas moderator ssor (Dwight Ross). The Columbus Dispatch picked up his story on this Christmas Day for those who would like to know more about this Santa.

This is the link but you will have to buy a month worth of daily electronic newspapers in order to read this editorial for $4.95. Here is a link to this story.

[url "http://www.dispatch.com/news-story.php?story=dispatch/2004/12/25/20041225-C1-04.html"]This Santa brings cheer all year to disabled kids[/url]
Repairing old computers benefits recipients, him
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"][/font][/size]
You can pick up a copy of this paper at the news stands if you happen to be in southern Ohio today.

God bless us all this season.
[signature]
Dave,
Thanks for the kind words. I am working on a full access link for all to view the full artical printed in the dispatch. If I get it set up I will post it. Thanks again
Your Friend
Dwight
[signature]
I saw this too. sorry I aint got a scanner.

That sure is mighty neighborly of you there ssor. This would would be a better place if we had a few more just like you.....

THIS SANTA BRINGS CHEER ALL YEAR TO DISABLED KIDS
Repairing old computers benefits recipients & him

Published: Saturday, December 25, 2004
By Mary Beth Lane

THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH
NELSONVILLE
, Ohio -- 'Twas the week before Christmas when Santa visited the mobile home of 15-year-old Jesse Wine.

This Santa had thinning ginger hair and a beard, and wore a flannel shirt and grubby jeans. His hands were grimy from repairing the computers he rebuilds and delivers to disabled children.
Dwight Ross, who is 47 and partially disabled from a stroke, is committed to helping children who need computers.

Children such as Jesse, who has Williams Syndrome, a rare genetic condition that causes an elflike appearance and developmental delays.
Jesse's face lit up bright as the Christmas tree in his family's living room when Ross walked in carrying a computer -- Jesse's first.

"I got a really good computer now! That is awesome!'' he said as he wrapped his arms around Ross in a tight hug.

Ross also brought a computer for Jesse's sister, Ashley Wine, 16.

After a stroke eight years ago, the former auto mechanic began using a computer from his mother to reinvigorate his mind and memory.

"When it broke, I fixed it,'' Ross recalled. "It took me two weeks, but I fixed it. I realized that there's no reason I couldn't fix a computer and give it to someone else who needs one.''

Based on how helpful his computer was in his recovery, Ross figured disabled children also would benefit.

"My ultimate goal and what will make me happiest in the world is to see a computer delivered to every child in the U.S. who is disabled or mentally challenged,'' he said.
He is off to a good start.

Ross estimates he has delivered or shipped more than 1,000 rebuilt computers to children in Ohio and other states since he began five years ago. People learn about him by word-of-mouth or through his Web site,

[url "http://www.studentpcsonline.com"]www.studentpcsonline.com[/url]
The rooms in his small, wood-frame home in rural Ray, which straddles Vinton and Jackson counties, are crammed floor to ceiling with computers, keyboards, monitors, printers and other accessories. A trailer behind the house holds more.

His son Richard, 18, who lives with him, and a friend, Roger Stout, help out.

They pick up discarded computers from recycling programs, at auctions or from companies or schools, including Hocking Technical College.
Ross lives on his Social Security disability check and occasionally sells a rebuilt computer to support his charity work.

"The stroke changed me a lot. I don't care what I have as long as I have a roof over my head and a place to sleep,'' Ross said.
Children receive most of his rebuilt computers, but Ross helps others, too.

Earlier this month, he donated a rebuilt computer and fax machine to the Franklin Township Fire and Rescue Department in Ross County to replace equipment that the volunteer fire company lost in an electrical fire at one of its stations in May.

"He's a godsend, I'll tell you,'' said Sheri Fallis, an emergency medical technician with the department.

Jesse's mother, Suann Weller, agreed when Ross and his son showed up on her doorstep in this Athens County community to deliver the computers.

"This is their major Christmas present,'' she said. "It helped out a lot. I couldn't afford a whole lot.''
Jesse's older brother, Gary Michael Weller, came up with the surprise after learning about Ross.
Jesse attends the Beacon School, an Athens County educational program for mentally and developmentally disabled students.

He plans to use his computer to do homework and play games.

As Ross got ready to leave, Jesse hugged him again and said, "Thank you. It's been awesome!''

[url "mailto:mlane@dispatch.com"]mlane@dispatch.com[/url]

Photo caption: GARRETT HUBBARD | DISPATCH
Dwight Ross, right, pays a visit to Nelsonville to bring one of his repaired gifts to Jesse Wine, a 15-year-old who has Williams Syndrome.
[signature]
thanks for sharing....[cool]
[signature]