Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Premier Trip to Catalina 4/13
Hey guys,

If you're night owls.... going to Catalina 4/13 on the Premoer. Come way early if you want to do the ride and fish a primo spot . Like 4:00 for a 7am start!

Report tomorrow night.

JapanRon
[signature]
Good luck to you JR. I hope to see some color to your report. Something in the shade of White or Yellow would be nice.[cool]
[signature]
Hi there TubeN2,

Did my Wednesday trip on the Tradition with Jimmy doing the skipper duties and Davis on the deck. With the tank full of squid, 17 anglers and crew headed for Catalina. Weather was beautiful with the water at CAT on the inside looking dirty. Fished a number of spots to pick up some numbers on the Calicos. Happly a bunch of perch wanted to bite too, although; it was not crazy wide open as it was last Wednesday.

Love fishing light-tackle for Calicos up close and personal in the shallower, kelpbeds/stringers.
Live, fresh-dead, and frozen squid all had their place as fish getters. Line test didn't seem to be an element and the current was decent for the kind of fishing we were doing. Going light, I fished 12lb fluro with a 1/4 oz split shot and 1/0 circle hook (stil caught opaleye !!) . Others fished the dropper loop, Texas rig with 3/8 or 1/2 oz sliding egg sinker and a few did the leadhead and squid setup.

Tried the swimbaits initially with a buddy but no hits. no runs, no errors with the score 0-0. Anglers caught legal calicos (up to 4lbs), lots of shorts, opaleye, a bonito, as well an Angry eel, sculpin, whitefish, and sheephead (released per the regs).
Had the swell going our was on return so the trip back was quick. As usual Good boat, great crew, fantastic weather, and great anglers to fish with as usual.

No yellows or Whites but the Dreamer 12 pack got 1 yt 9 wsb.

JapanRon
[signature]
Still a nice report. I'm glad to see that the inshore finally woke up.

I'm headed for the Channel Islands on Saturday and to the CAT on Sunday. I'm sure there will be a few species for the contest.[cool]
[signature]