Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Adding "D" Rings/Fat Cats
I bought my Fat Cat in 2000 and it has velcro straps which are handy for carrying an extra rod on each side (horizontal position). These are not any good for adding one of the multirodholders I've seen on the site. What is a reliable way of adding "D" rings. I don't want to strip off the cover and sew. Is there some kind of adhesive that would work?

You can also see in the attachment that I have different pockets. I weigh about 185 and my friend who is well over 200. I suspect about 225 is in the market for a tube. He really likes my Fat Cat. Would he be better off with the Super Fat Cat?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]You can add D rings by strapping them on, but they are subject to slippage and rotation. You can also stick them on, with a good waterproof epoxy. However, not all epoxies are flexible and waterproof. There are also some waterproof and flexible fabric glues that might hold some light loads.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The real consideration is how much weight are you going to put onto the D rings? If it will not be much, then you can safely use a non-sewn connection. Otherwise, do it like the manufacturers do and both stitch and glue the connections. Unfortunately, that does require that you open up the cover to get inside.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]In the picture, it DOES look like you have the 2 D rings on the outside, just under the pockets, that I use for attaching my rod rack.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Tube,

Those are velcro staps that hold a rod quite well in horizontal position. I have carried two extra flyrods there but not at the ready. I have them apart and held together with elastic hairbands. This works well enough for switching techniques e.g. floating to sinking line but I was intrigued with your setup which gives you instant access to your rods. Perhaps I could carry those rods assembled and lash on a single rod holder on the right to handle the rod I'm using.

Things seem a little easier with spinning and baitcasting outfits. With the flyrods you're always dealing with that extra length A lot of my fishing is in Flyfishing only ponds. I've become quite adept at tossing smaller jigs with my flyrods. When fishing other locales it would be quite easy to have my ultra lite spinning rod and baitcaster at the ready.

I actually rigged up a pool noodle cut in half, taped together and lashed to the "D"rings on my other tube.(Gliderider). I made holes through the material and stored 3 rods upright but I didn't like these really long rods sticking up like that. The rods certainly weren't going to go anywhere because of the tight friction fit provided by the foam. But with flyrods sticking up like that it seemed rather awkward. Especially anytime I approached shore with reeds or overhanging brush.

At any rate this site has really got me thinking. I will probably come up with something more permanent once I get my Fishfinder. I might actually be able to get one soon as my daughter's rep hockey team has been folded and I will be getting a rebate check for the fees I have already paid. Attached is a picture of a large yellow perch I caught which also illustrates the wimpiness of various aprons. The Gliderider's is much better than the one on the Fat Cat; but I'm going to browse the basement for one of those lids. I think that is a great idea.

P.S. I can't seem to get the picture into the body of the message anymore.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Nice perch.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you are taking strictly flyrods...or just plan to use a flyrod along with a spinning outfit too...you might consider putting together a slanted horizontal holder, as in the pics below.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=10147;]

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=10145;]

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=10146;]
[signature]
Thanks TD. A couple of questions regarding that slanted horizontal rodholder. How do you attach to maintain that angle without any slippage. What is the purpose of the foam? Finally what have you used to secure the rods to the holder?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=90761;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread"]LINK TO ORIGINAL POST[/url][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]That should answer most of those questions. The big thing is to be able to carry several rods without interfering with fly rod casting.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
All questions answered. Thanks, TD!
[signature]