Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boat advice
Ok, so I have been running an old '73 tri-hull with a 135hp outboard for the past few years and it has been great for me. However, we recently decided it was time to upgrade.
We have just committed to buy a '79 I/O with a Volvo / Penta. Guy said it was a 305 engine. The thing is in nearly new condition with only 144 hours of use on the motor (original owner) and always stored indoors.
Having never owned an I/O before I could use any advice, hints, suggestions, etc to keep this thing in as good of shape mechanically as it is in now. The engine just purrs without a single tick, rattle, or hesitation...at least for the couple of minutes we ran it with the hose hooked up.
Any pointers on maintenance, winterizing, use on the water, etc, would be appreciated. We will hopefully be giving it our first run this Saturday on Strawberry.
[signature]
I think the main winterization thing with stern drives is to be sure to drain the engine block and any low lying spots in the cooling water lines. You can find the engine block drains on the sides of the engine below the exhaust manifold and above the oil pan. If it is a v-6 or v-8 there will be one on each side. An inline 4 or 6 will have one - maybe two of them. There might be petcocks or just plugs, either way I'd recommend pulling them out to be absolutely certain to get a good drain. If you don't, you'll find a cracked & maybe destroyed engine next spring. If you're gonna use the boat after the nights get below freezing, always drain it. When you take it out after draining it, be damn sure to put the plugs back in. I didn't once & when I got about halfway across Strawberry I thought the boat seemed to be getting awful sluggish. About that time my buddy saw the water coming out from under the hood & filling the back of the boat. PANIC - PANIC - PANIC. Then it dawned on me & I frantically fished around in the bilge 'till I found the plug & got it screwed in. Only took the bilge pump 20 min. to drain the boat & about twice that time for my blood pressure to return to normal.
[signature]
I dont know if it is much of an upgrade. A '73 to '79. You say your 73 has been great for you. Why not keep it? The low hours are questionable. Was the motor rebuilt? 144 hrs in 26 years, works out to like six hours a year. Sitting and not running is also not good for motors. I think I would stick with the "great '73" until something a little newer comes along.
[signature]
It's actually a huge upgrade. The hours would normally be questionable to me, but the story seems confirmed by the boat.
The engine looks like new and runs just as good. Put your ear right down by the valve covers and you can't hear the slightest tick anywhere.
The paint is original and shows absolutely no oxidation.
Interior is all original and amazing, with the vinyl on the seats still soft with no wear or cracks. The only visible wear is slight wear on the carpet from walking around when fishing over the years.
The story behind the boat is this is the original owner, an older guy. He bought it brand new and worked for the manufacturer. Used it a couple of times when it was new for his teenage kids to ski, but they soon moved out.
After that, he only used it for occasional fishing trips. The low engine hours are because he would only use the main motor to get from the ramp to fishing area, then he would use the trolling motor from there. So it's not that the boat sat for years, it just ran for only short distances each time it was out.
Oh, and the boat comes with a 9.9 troller that is also in nearly new condition, remote troll, and fish finder.
I did look for the tell-tell signs that you can't hide, dirt and grunge in corners, seepage or sludge in cracks or anything around motor or outdrive, etc, etc.
Anyway, I've been screwed before, so I was looking quite carefully. I don't have the $$$$ for a $10k boat and haven't seen a boat in better shape for the price. Besides, the extras with the boat (troller, remote troll, fishfinder, etc) are worth quite a bit.
I will know Saturday how good it is. Smile
The reason for changing is that we want something a bit bigger, v-hull (don't care for the tri-hull on choppy water), etc. And the old one has quite a bit more use behind it.
[signature]
Ok, after 2 days on the 'berry with the new boat I'm impressed. Runs much better than even I dared expect, without any problems other than a minor wiring issue with the fishfinder. Even the 1978 9.9hp troller that came with it is like brand new and works great. Add the remote troll and I was in heaven...other than the fact that I couldn't get the fish to hit my gear.
Now I just need to sell off the older boat as I don't need 2 in the driveway. I may just wait until spring, but if anyone knows of someone wanting a boat, it is a 1973 ArrowGlass modified tri-hull, 17.5' long, open bow, 135hp Evinrude on the back.
The boat is in good shape, with new seats and carpet a couple of years ago. Engine runs amazingly smooth and will troll down around 1.6-2.0mph, which is amazing for a 2 stroke motor that large. It does have a mount for a trolling motor, though. Asking $1800 obo. If you want to pay $1900 I'll throw in a 1990 6hp Johnson troller with the boat. Also a great motor. (NO, I will not sell the troller alone for $100. That price is only if it is sold with the boat at $1900)
Anyway, I will be putting a post on the 'for sale' board shortly and will hopefully add a photo, too.
[signature]