Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry tuesday 9/27
My dad and I had another good day at strawberry today. We arrived at 6:45 to a beautiful morning without wind and no rain YET... Launched at the main marina and got about 20 yards from the docks and saw fish rising all over so we threw in the tube jigs and trolled at 2.5 MPH. We landed 5 fish before we rounded the first point headed to mud creek. We continued to catch fish every 5-10 minutes for the next 2 hours. Finally graphed a small school of fish and anchored up and jigged for them for another hour with good success. We had several soaking rain showers throughout the morning and the fishing seemed to be red hot when it rained and just Ok when the rain quit. The wind never really got too bad until we were leaving about 1:30. We finished the day trolling in the narrows with some friends that we met up with. We landed 2 more fish over there. My friends landed a few bows in the narrows on rapalas including a 20 inch (13 inch girth) 4 pound rainbow. We were also hoping to be so lucky to find a rainbow but no such luck. We didn't complain too loudly since we had landed 30+ fish for the day and they had only landed 12 or so. All of our fish we cutts with the largest being 21 inches and 3 under the slot keepers for dinner. It was another great day on the pond. Its exciting to think that a good majority of the plentiful 19-20 inch fish will be pushing 22-23 inches (and 4 pounds) next year at this time.
[signature]
Thanks for your report . I always like to fish in the rain up there but not to much this year when I've went on weekends . Them Bows can be hard to find . I seem to do better with spoons for bows but haven't tried them much this year .
[signature]
Great report BigCat! Another productive day for ya!

Fishing the Berry is a blast, where else can you go and catch 20,30 or even 50 20+" fish with possibility of a 6lber or bigger. I think you are addictated to the Berry just like many other members.

I still got at least 1 more weekend I have to work and no telling what the following weekend will bring.

Did you get a surface temperature?
[signature]
ME addicted to fishing the Berry, ya right![Wink] I don't have a fishing problem (they say the first sign of addiction is denial). The only fishing problem I have is too much work to get done and a mad wife if (when) I fish too much. But I know I am not alone there! It was another fun day. I'll have to take a week off now for the duck hunt on saturday and from then on I'll start carrying the shot gun in the boat for the low flybys at strawberry. We could of had some geese yesterday if the season was open. The water temp was 53.6 most of the day tuesday on the sonar. I'm still waiting to get that 22+ incher. I know you have landed quite a few this year but I haven't landed one yet since I moved back to Utah 2 years ago. I am so due! I only have about 3-4 more weeks to go before i need to winterize the boat. Seems like last year you fished Strawberry well into November??? You must have an outboard motor? I don't dare chance freezing by I/O motor once November hits.
[signature]
It was 55 degrees surface temp on Saturday.
[signature]
Don't want you to feel alone , but I have yet to get a 22+incher in the cutts . But I feel one coming on . Good luck to you . Also you don't need to fish from a boat to get one . I caught them right off shore .
[signature]
Had the boat out a day or two before Thanksgiving. Petty4Life and I fished Strawberry with the air temperature at 17 degrees in the morning. Out board is the only way to go.
[signature]
Thanks HA69, I thought I was the solo club member of the strawberry under 22 club. Glad to see you are still representing our membership as well[pirate]. I aspire to the ranks of the strawberry 22+ club with the likes of MGB and skippythelurker (those two sweet fish from mud creek last winter). Like you I feel one coming. Hopefully before ice season starts but I wouldn't mind pulling a big dog through an ice hole this winter either! Shortly after that I will expect the letter in the mail inviting me join the fraternity of the higher angler! [cool] Then maybe MGB will invite me fishing...[Wink]
[signature]
Yes, outboards are the way to go when talking about real cold weather fishing. Much past the 3rd week in Oct I am pretty much done except for if I want do a little float tubing and cool the boys off if you know what I mean (burrrrrrrrrr!).[shocked] You were fishing Strawberry a day before Thanksgiving and I was fishing Huntington on thanksgiving on 6 inches of ice! Once my boat is toasty warm in the garage beginning its much too long winter hibernation I would be happy to be your anchor man! A little cold weather never scared me off. It will just be good training for the ice season to start. Its always an interesting time of year when you stop bringing the cooler to keep the drinks and sandwiches cold (just throw them on the boat dash) and instead bring the portable heater. I mean who needs to feel their fingers anyway! I always figured that was totally optional!
[signature]