Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tampa Bay Area Fishing Report

Tampa Bay Area

Fishing Report Captain Charles Walker

1/05/03

Howling wind, rain and very cold temperatures carried the new year in and even though the sun is shining and the winds are light today, all the ice on my lawn and in the boat this morning did not light my fire to go fishing. The weather forecast for the coming week is not very conducive to fishing, another front coming on Monday night. If you can find a nice day to get offshore, I would highly recommend it. This is the time of year for gag grouper in our nearshore waters and they should be in waters less than 60 feet deep. Take plenty of pinfish and lots of frozen sardines and squid. As cold as the water is, the grouper are not going to be extremely active so lots of chumming on the bottom is recommended to get them in a biting mood.

On to the bait house reports:
Ruskin Bait and Tackle - 813-641-2325 – Lots of reds are on the flats and really biting well in our area. Tons of big sheepshead have been coming from the river. The power plant is still producing some cobia, most of which have been caught lots of times this winter. Lots of silver trout are biting in the Port area and in the river mouth for anglers willing to brave the winter temperatures.
Buddy’s Bait and Tackle on the Courteney Campbell Causeway in Tampa - 813-287-1026 – Lots of trout have come in from the big bridge, many of them undersized but some legal ones as well. The small bridge on the Pinellas side is producing some reds this week. Snook are biting on small pinfish all along the causeway; of course the season is closed.
Trappman’s Bait and Tackle on Gandy Blvd in St. Petersburg - 727-579-1414- Sheepshead are the really big story this winter. Since fiddlers are hard to get right now, most anglers are using shrimp. Reds and trout are biting well on the flats after the sun warms them a little.
Don’s Dock on Madeira Beach - 727-391-3223- Lots of grouper and mangrove snapper have been biting this week for anglers able and willing to go out. A few straggler kings have been picked up even in the cold water. Reds and trout are coming in from the warmer water areas in the afternoon. It seems a piece of the Loop current moved inshore a couple of weeks ago to the 80 foot mark and lots of dolphin and blackfin tuna were caught by those that found it.
The Skyway Fishing Pier - 727-865-0668 and the south Skyway - 941-729-0117- Silver trout, whiting, sheepshead, bluefish, the occasional grouper, and believe it or not, some Spanish mackerel have been coming in this week.

Folks, feel free to call any of the places in my report for more information, and be sure to tell them that you read about the fishing in their area in Capt. Charlie’s fishing report on the Internet.

If you want more information about fishing in the Tampa Bay area or wish to book a charter, simply e-mail me at captchas@flfish.com or if you wish to arrange a charter faster, call me at 727-546-7257. Be sure and visit my web site for lots more Tampa Bay Area fishing info at: [url "http://www.floridasaltwater.com/"][#0000ff]http://www.floridasaltwater.com[/#0000ff][/url] .

Good fishing and tight lines,

Capt. Charlie

http://www.flfish.com
[signature]