Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry 1-10 Fishing with my Grandson..
Call me a glutton for punishment but I took my 3 year old grandson to the Berry this morning for his first ice fishing run. For his sake to avoid the real cold temps we didnt roll the train onto the cap until sightly after 10:30 then we headed north.
We planned our flag and set up the shanty where 3M and I had started the day Saturday morning. The bite was faster from the get-go and I'm happy to report the lad iced a nice 22 inch Cuttie along with several others between 19 and 21. We both also managed to get broken off once, grrrr!, lol....
We used lots of different size's and colors of tubes and plastics today and tipped all with either a mealy or meat (mostly mini). Infact, a simple chuck of mini on a size 6 worked about as well as anything..
About 2.00-2.30pm the bite really dropped off but we eeked out a couple more before rolling the train back to the parking lot around 4.00pm. Not being a head counter I didnt actually keep track of numbers but the bite wasnt super fast but just fast enough, (and there was enough fish on the cam and sonar), to keep a 3 year old's attention all day..

All in all, it was a great day on the cap for a first time ice fishing trip with my youngest grandladdy.. We both had a time to remember! All good!

Ok, now grandpa needs a NAP!!

[inline "grandpa and austin ice fishing 013.jpg"]
[signature]
Dude- That is what it's all about. Great post and thanks for sharing. Nothing beats a day on the ice with your kids or grandkids! Something he will never forget!!
[signature]
Great report. I love to see kids fishing. It will stay with them forever.
[signature]
great pic and report coldfooter. Thats a big Smile he's got. [Smile]
[signature]
Great, just what I need...someone else that can outfish me. Why don't you teach the kid to play tennis or golf. I have enough compition on the ice. Bowling is a nice pastime too, you know he'll never get cold and can wear really funky shoes. Think about that Grandpa.

The kid stayed all day? Welcome to the IFG family to the little C/F. You sure he ain't one of mine?

IFG
Way to go coldfooter and coldfooter mini me!!!!!

I took my 2 1/2 yr old for the first time the week after Christmas and he also had a blast. The most amazing thing was the puzzled look on his face when I told him that this is where we were going to fish. To him it just seemed like a large snow covered field and he had no concept of the fact that we were standing on a frozen lake. When I drilled the first he hole he said "there's water in there!" And I said "and fish too!" He looked very Confused. I would have got the same look if I had shoveled a hole in my back yard and used the hose to fill it with water and dropped a line in. I handed him the first rod once the jig hit bottom (I figured he had the natural jigging motion all figured out......2 yr olds can't hold still!). I went to drill another hole for my other son and before I even started the hole my first son said "Daddy, fishy pulling!" and I looked over and he had already hooked a fish. So he caught on pretty quick about how fish live in little water holes that we drill in the middle of snowy fields...... Now that is a memory he may be too young to remember for too long but I'll never forget it!

When they are 2-4 years old there are a lot of "1st time" memories!
[signature]
Thanks for the report!, sounds like he had a great time out there today!.. that kid fishes better than I do, I'm glad You guys got into some!,, Looks like You had a blast!,, Moments to cherish forever!
[signature]
great report footer.
that picture says it all.
might be headed to the berry on sunday if the weather doesn't get to bad.
[signature]
great report my friend!! wish i could have made it up there with ya..
but E-lake was rocking yesterday even tho there is not the fish in E-lake that are in the berry.. it's alot closer to the house for me..
looks like your chariot is still getting it done for ya.. glad to see your get some use out of the old girl.. lol

yesterday might have been the last day that the slush on the berry was frozen for awhile.. looks like more snow headed that way from what the weather man was saying at lest..
[signature]
Great job Don! Many of my fondest fishing memories are fishing trips with my grandkids.
[signature]
[Wink] Don,

It just don't git better'n that, ya gotta love it!
[signature]
[Wink] Now that was a nice report, looks like you will have a fishing partner anytime you want to go now. get them hooked when they are young. [cool]
[signature]
Thanks everyone. Yep its always a hoot when I get the chance to relive some of lifes experiences through the eyes of my grandkids.. Yep these little ones is what its all about. And of course, I get a fair share of exerice while doing so, so its all good.

IFG.. Yep, he hung out all day. Btw, maybe you need to ask him to teach ya his secret jiggin' technique. Better yet, I'll tell ya how it works but dont tell him I told ya. First grab a baggie of cookies, then grab the butt end of your fishing rod so the tip is facing anywhere but in front of you. Next shove in as many cookies in your pie hole as it can handle at any given time. Once the sugar high has taken effect, and your bouncing off the walls of the shanty, you've got the technique fairly well worked out.. lol..

BigCat.. Yeah it makes for a fun day. When we turned off the highway and headed towards the marina my G-laddy looked out the windshield and asked "wheres Strawberries at Strawberries lake?" When I pointed towards the cap and said, thats where we're going to be fishing, he tells me, "Grampa theres to much snow for the fishes here", and from that point forward things got better and we spend the day "fishing in them circles". Next time I take a mini me I'll take my 5 year old grandson. He and his G-pa will be sneekin' out soon (possibly next Monday, weather permitting)..

3M.. No doubt about it, it was a blast! The determination on his face while grinding away on the reel handle made for some great photo opps but you know how well I and a camera, or radio, usually get along,, LOL!! Thank god for cam's with self timers and the arm of a fold up chair, LOL!! As far as whether he's possibly a better fisherman than you or I, well, its my guess its somehow connected to a baggie of cookies..

Ron.. Yeah the old sled is still leading the train.. It aint to pretty but nor am I so we get along pretty good..
You know me, I like to go loaded for bear when ever possible because I never know when the urge to stay through the night might strike me, lol.. Of course with the laddy along yesterday that wasnt a possiblity but extra space means I have room for all those extra needs when a little one makes the run.. Yep to bad you couldnt make the trip to Dah Berry yesterday with us but it sounds like E treated ya pretty good too.

Yep,,, it was all good and theres no doubt about it, fishing with me little ones seems to drop my BP a few points and helps smooth off my rough edges a little because I know the day is theirs, not mine...
[signature]