Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
South Indian River Fishing Report
January 19, 2006

INSHORE:

I enjoy being on the water on these crisp mornings here on the Treasure Coast. It's wonderful to watch the sun come up over the horizon and see the water glisten as the first light crawls across the water. Of course, the warmth of the sun as it rises this time of year sure feels just as good, too! Milder temperatures and continued cold fronts crossing our path has continued to drop the water temps. Fishing patterns continue to change throughout the day as the sun warms up the flats. The water has been churned up a few days the past week, but will clear in a few days after the fronts drive through.

I start out in 3-5 feet of water along the flats this time of year and target trout and snook that are lurking along the drop offs for an early morning snack. Soft baits, live shrimp or pinfish and top water are my choices for the early morning shift. Snook will feed along the deeper mangrove edges during the early mornings. We caught snook up to 24" on top water this week along the mangroves. Feb. 1st will reopen snook season here, that isn't far away!

Trout will be advancing onto the flats in early mornings as the sun warms up the water. Start deeper with popping corks or soft baits and move shallower as the sun rises. Trout up to 20" were hitting well this week, with some reports of larger trout being taken around the flats. Bear Point and Queen's Cove have continued to be productive. Remember to slow down your retrieve with the cooler water temps. This is a great time of year to use your fly rod on those calmer days for some fun trout action.

Redfish have continued to be patrolling the flats, but with the cleaner water, they have been more standoffish and must be approached very stealthily in order to have a chance at them. Live shrimp will be the best choice to toss at them for now. I have continued to see quite a few redfish on the flats north of the bridges in Fort Pierce.

There are still plenty of ladyfish, jacks, bluefish and sheephead around the river. You just never know what you might catch during the winter! We have even caught the occasional barracuda up on the flats. Pompano have been scattered in the river. Bear Point and south towards Stuart have been where most reports have come from. Most of the pompano action has been in the surf south of Fort Pierce.

The bridges and structure have continued to yield black drum, sheephead, sand perch and croakers. Dead shrimp has been the most popular choice for bait, especially around the bridges. Lots of sheephead around so far and good sizes reported on them.

Tip of the Week:
Each week brings more and more new residents to the area. You will see many more boaters and anglers on the water every day. Remember the rules of the road when out on the water. Safe boating comes from each of us. Be aware of your surroundings and other vessels at all times. Be prepared for the person who hasn't a clue about safe boating skills. Each one of us is responsible for keeping our waters safe and help prevent boating accidents. Set the example and don't be the CAUSE....

Have a safe weekend. Remember, fishing is not just another hobby.....it's an ADVENTURE!

Good fishing and be safe,
Captain Charlie Conner

www.fishtalescharter.com
To have my fishing report sent to you. Email me at: captaincharlie@fishtalescharter.com