Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flaming Gorge report 01/28/06
Wiperslayer and I fished the Gorge yesterday from 7:30am to 3:30pm, to say it was slow is an under statement. We started off at the second turn off past Buckboard going south. The ice did not look good, so we drilled a test hole a few feet from shore, it was three inches thick. We worked our way out to deeper water, drilling holes as we went, forth hole was only 2.5 inches in 15 foot of water. We bagged that idea and move closer to Buckboard where the ice was thicker, about 5 inches. We moved around all day but ended up having our best luck in 56 to 67ft of water. A lot of fish were coming through between 14 to 46 ft of water but the only bites we got were at 14 ft, 28 ft and 46ft. We weren't sure what they were but we did manage to pull two macks out of 28 ft of water, I was hoping some of the fish would be kokes but that never happened. WH2
[signature]
Why not use a boat so you can move around more or did you just want to ice fish?

[signature]
Your a funny guy Cliff, ha,ha.[Smile] From all the reports I've read there is very little open water left and there might be none if the cold weather continues. I would rather fish from a boat but I guess the season for that is not at hand, yet. [code]
[signature]
Why not get an air boat...and that way you can skim across the parkinglot down the ramp and across the ice...then if the ice is too thin and breaks...you'll still be floating. How cool would that be.

Feel the wind in your hair, the frost on your lips and the bite on the rod.

Springtime in the Rockies...I can hardly wait.

/
[signature]
I can just imagine what my wife would say now, "What, another boat, no way your getting another boat".
It won't be long now, another month and hopefully the weather will start to warm up, a little at a time.
[signature]
we hit the holmes area ice was thin bad, fishing was slow but we did hook up a couple teenager's. ice was too thin and I was a reck 2''of ice and we were standing in 3'' of water tryed to stay as long as possible but it was to scarey so we headed out. it need's a few more cold day's.[Smile][Smile]
[signature]
i whatched dougie las nite but never heard him say exactly where he was the had plenty of ice. the surrondings looked like anvil anyoone know where he was.
[signature]
The last report I heard you could still launch boats in Lucerne Bay. Is it froze over?
[signature]
Thanks for the report . Sounds like it is iceing up . Wish it wasn't so far away .
[signature]
Dougie was fishing the Confluence .
[signature]
You are one brave dude Ash, when we were on 2.5 inches of ice I was worried but two inches is crazy, how deep was the water? Did Holmes Crossing use to be called Squaw hollow? WH2
[signature]
what no pictures curt? was there snow on the ice? [Wink]
[signature]
No fish were caught worth taking a picture of but I guess I could have taken a picture of the lake. Yes there was a little snow on the ice but very little on the ground.
[signature]
yes wiperhunter holmes crossing used to be called squaw hollow.Game and fish changed to be more politically correct.
[signature]
yes bassrods you can still launch at lucerne but you can only fish swim, antelope, and linwood. I hope to try again some time this week but that 2'' of ice is scarey as heck and ther was so meany people hitting buckboard and I never heard eny good report's other than baby mac's and bow's but I just like to chase the fish that pull that ice hole down and make it a water hole LOL hope them temp's stay down we need them for the good spot's to ice up hard enuf to get my 230lb butt out there again.Fishley
[signature]
Thanks for the report I mite take my boat and try it...

[signature]
hey fishley my grandpa told me when i was a wee little tot that a man's butt is not water tight[shocked] like a duck's is so that's why i will have to weight for a little thicker ice before i get on it because i have tried to float before but and that was a disaster for me. trfishin
[signature]
trust me mine was water tight all day[shocked] and with the worm day's it may not happen again .later fishley
[signature]