Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fly Line Weight
What problems will you have if you use 7 wt. line on a 6 wt. rod?
I know that lighter line doesn't load very well, but what about heaver line?
How well do line makers even match line weight to rod weight?
[signature]
A 7 should throw just fine on a 6 weight. The lines are built heavier now than they were in years past.
[signature]
I agree with James. I always buy one size bigger (more on my sinking than on my floating) but it does load up better. I use a 4 weight a lot and that I will go with TT or DT 4, but my six and even my eight, I bought a size up.
[signature]
So who is that picture of? Looks like Alison Brown.
[signature]
[reply]
So who is that picture of? Looks like Alison Brown. [/reply]
Looks more like FlyGoddess to me.
[signature]
Right On! Joni T
[signature]
My opinion is if you go up a line size on a fast action rod, it can help the cast load better and can cut through wind a little better. I have a 4 weight that is overlined with 5 line, but I think it works better with a double taper line than with a weight forward (I've tried both). I prefer fast action rods, but on a slower action rod, I'd stick with the proper line weight. Bottom line, try it out at the shop before you drop 50$ on a good line and see how it feels when you throw it. Everyone has a different casting style and different preferences.
[signature]
Totally, a stiffer rod i can see that. Need help to load, specially on shorter casts. Not to stir the flames but, I think it also depends on the quality of the rod. A Wallly World special I would say up one on a Boron I would say what rod weight is. Plus the line manufacture plays in here also.
[signature]