Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
South Indian River Fishing Report
March 16, 2006

INSHORE:

The sun was shining on the Treasure Coast this week. Mild winds and warm temperatures made for great fishing weather, except for a few days later during the week. Looks like spring has blossomed here on the Indian River.

Snook fishing around the turning basin, bridges and docks has improved with the full moon this week. Some nice catches have been made by those using live shrimp, pinfish or red tail hawk jigs. Snook have been heading up on the flats in the early mornings to feed on baitfish around the river. Top water on the calm days will bring some nice hits at sunrise. Bob boated a 24" snook and lost a nice slot size earlier during the week.

[Image: charters1155.jpg]

Redfish have been cruising the flats on both sides of the river. They are very easy to scare right now, so be keep quiet and a low profile while on the flats. Live bait has worked best along with gold spoons and soft plastic baits. They will hit at an early morning top water, but the hookups might be a challenge. We found reds on both sides while fishing north of the Fort Pierce bridges. Vince caught himself a 17" redfish during the Teen Angler tournament over the weekend.

Trout have been hitting live shrimp on the 2-4 foot grass flats. Hit some of the flats around Queen's Cove or Round Island. The ladyfish have been prevalent on the same flats and most times will beat the trout to the bait. They provide lots of exciting fun throughout the day, especially if you have a child on board. Something flashy and fast will attract a lot of attention.

[Image: FH000003.jpg]

The bridges have continued to produce nice catches of sand perch, sheephead and black drum. Live or dead shrimp are always the best choices of bait around the bridge structures. Mangrove snapper have been hitting around the rock piles and mangroves. Harbor Branch has been giving up some nice keeper sized ones. Some reports of flounder around the jetties and inlet have been reported. James Robinson boated a nice five pound 26" flounder from the flats in only a foot of water. It attacked one of those MirrOMinnows that I am forever talking about.

Tip of the Week:
Presentation is probably one of the most important aspects to fishing. Everyone talks about lure colors, sizes and shapes, but do you consider how you work that favorite lure to make it produce fish. I have watched several anglers fishing with the same lure and one might catch fish while the others continue to struggle to get a hookup. Presentation makes the difference!

I continually advise anglers to be change their lure retrieve to see what might just work. Whether you fish a top water very slow and methodical or make it a fast, jerky and erratic retrieve, be willing to change the pace. A baseball pitcher doesn't throw the same pitch all the time and win games! Fish don't necessarily hit the same lures fished at the same retrieve all the time.

Next time you are out there on the water, try working those favorite lures in different patterns and speeds. You just might be surprised at the results!

Have a safe weekend. Remember, fishing is not just another hobby.....it's an ADVENTURE!

Good fishing and be safe,
Captain Charlie Conner
[url "http://www.fishtalescharter.com"]www.fishtalescharter.com[/url]

To have my fishing report sent to you. Email me at: [url "mailto:captaincharlie@fishtalescharter.com"]captaincharlie@fishtalescharter.com[/url]