Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My first kitty of the year
I was at UL saturday morning and it was pretty slow, I didn't take the boat because of possibility of death by wind. Good thing I didn't. I stopped at the Jordan in Lehi and hooked up with this bruiser channel. The current was so strong that I didn't even know he was on there. There is a huge amount of water flowing, I bet the undercurrent could sweep you away in a heartbeat.
[inline "Lehi 3-25-06 minnow.jpg"]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Ya got no pride.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Me neither. I love to catch that size channel cat on light tackle. I usually prefer to do it in still water however. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Glad you got to stretch your string. I plan to go kitty huntin' by the end of the week my own self.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool]Hey, at least you got out, and didn't get skunked to boot! I was gonna ignore TD's advice and just go shore fish anyway at LB, but then I figured it would be so windy anyway, that it would have been too tough to detect a bite.

TD: I'm heading out to the bubble up w/CBR on Saturday. Forcrash is for sunny skies and 58 degrees (of coarse, that's what it said about yesterday (Saturday) too). Hope the W doesn't come up. If I don't catch anything within about 2 hours then I'll head over to "the kittie hole" and just float that warm muddy area south of the channel for a kittie or two before going home...maybe I'll see ya out there...
[signature]
Hey congrats on the monster cat![laugh] You know i got to lincoln about 3pm and there were only micro bursts over 30mph.As i got there carp_punisher was getting out because the wind was supposed to get worse as the day passed.He didnt do to good either.But there was some kids fishing by his spot from shore and they had a nice size kitty on.Man we need some stable weather really bad.
[signature]
[#505000]Wel the day was looking nice so I took the toon out to Lincoln Beach. When I got there it was rather breezy. With only small wihtecaps from time to time I ventured out. I fished for about an hour and decided the weather was taking most of the fun out of my fishing. The anchor held steady but I was kicking a lot to stay pointed the right direction. [/#505000]
[#505000][/#505000]
[#505000]As soon as I got off the water the micro bursts hit. Made me gald I got off. Either way it was a fun 2006 shake down cruise to get back in the swing of things. [/#505000]
[#505000][/#505000]
[#505000]I must say Pat I'm glad you have a boat. I plan to let you tow me and my toon all over the place!! Haha [Tongue][/#505000]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Hey, I'm still gonna be out there amongst 'em with either my tube or toon too. Whassamatta? You gettin' old or sumpin'?[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I'm sure you enjoyed getting on the water again, even if it was only for a short time. It is definitely much better during the calm months of summer when the W lays down and the fish are active.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Glad to hear the prospect of some decent Saturday weather, I just might have to leave the boat and take the toon. Anybody got a Lincoln beach water temp? I would hate for my toes to get cold [blush]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Use your oars/motor and keep your tootsies up out of the water, silly. That's an option with toons that tubers don't have.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I'm predicting that by Saturday the main lake temp will be back up near 45 early and warming to 48 or more by end of day. Could be better. Still not enough to get all the fish real active but enough for walleyes, channels and some bullheads. Probably score some white bass in the right spot.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]TubeBabe and I are making an exploratory run Friday morning. Going to tube the rock shelves out by where you and I met up last time, and then sample the shallows for some shivvering kitties. I will post a report before evening on Friday.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Anybody tubing or tooning these days should be able to get by with a couple of layers under their neoprenes. One of the mistakes a lot of folks make is trying to cram too much foot and covering into the same fins they use during the warm summer. You need fins big enough to handle the bulk, without constriction. If the circulation in your feet is cut down, it doesn't make any difference how much wool you are wearing, your feet will get cold.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If the fishing is at least passable, we are likely to show up back down there again on Saturday. I understand there will be a few BFTers trying to work off the cabin fever, both at Lincoln Beach and around Lindon.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I am hoping the weather settles enough next week to allow some exploration around the lake. I have a feeling that there are some of those rocky rubble shorelines over on the west side that are harboring some unmolested fish. It does not get much pressure over there, but there are some good spots. We did well on a couple of trips last year.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[#505000]Just FYI I went out Saturday to Lincoln with my breathable waders. I wore one pair of thick socks, and some sweatpants underneath and I stayed roasty toasty. Unless the water temp has taken a steep dive I wouldn't get too layered up or you may sweat to death.[/#505000]
[signature]
[cool]Yeah, but in a pontoon, you don't get your feet wet, right Gary? For those of us that aren't pontoon owners yet, it will be a little chilly. Especially with small boots that won't let ya put more than one layer of wool socks on...
[signature]
I would rather use my flippers to move around. When casting over and over I move slower with my flippers and can turn easily and less noisy. I did notice about 4 weeks ago behind the pump house I've worn a hole in my waders from sitting in my toon, felt some cold water right on my bum brrrrr!!! Picked up some plasti dip and it worked great. It looks like more rain this weekend, I might just play it by ear but looking forward to Lincoln Beach. Thanks for the Temp. prospects, they sound promising, rain or not atleast the temp is starting to steady.
[signature]
[cool]Yeah, the forcrash is starting to look not so good, but I'm so frustrated from postponing the last two weekends from going out there that I'm going anyway, come hell or highwater. You are right about the temps still look good, but now there's a 40% chance of rain out there according to this forcrash: [url "http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=233&city_input=Utah+Lake"]http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=233&city_input=Utah+Lake[/url]

Hope that 40% chance goes down as the week goes on...I'll be out there on the shore with a poncho on if I have to. I will fish this weekend from the softwater...
[signature]