Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Downrigger release or rubber band???
Hey everybody. I just bought some downriggers and wondered if I should use a release, or a rubber band? I looked at a lot of different ones and have no clue what to use. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
[signature]
I have fished downriggers for 15 years and all I use is the cloths pin like single release. It has two rubber pads and you can set the depth of your line according to size of lure trolling speed ect. Hope this helps.

Bodine
[signature]
Thanks Bodine11,

I had that type in my hand on Sunday. I didn't know if I should get a light, medium, or heavy so I put them back.
[signature]
Go with the medium it is the one with the red pads. I believe the heavy has white.

Bodine
[signature]
[url "http://www.offshoretackle.com/release.htm"]Downrigger Releases[/url] It all depends on what you are fishing for and what you are going to be pulling on your line . I would suggest getting several . If you are pulling triple teasers a light one is the way to go but if you are down deep with a big flat fish you will want to go heavy .
[signature]
Thanks for the link Hells I will get to shopping. Have to wait 23 more days before I go pick up my boat in Montana. Have lots of things to learn. Grew up fishing out of 14' aluminum boats with no electronics, downriggers etc. Caught lots of fish but no comforts.
[signature]
[font "Arial Black"][red][size 3] I agree with Bodine on the medium releases. I use the same ones on my downriggers,and you can adjust the tention a little bit on them by moving your line back or forward on the pads.[/size][/red][/font]
[font "Arial Black"][#ff0000][size 3][/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[font "Arial Black"][#ff0000][size 3]AFDan52[/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[signature]
Hey captnflappinshad,

Although rubber bands are cheap and easy, releases are the way to go. They are also quite cheap and, very easy to use. There are several different kinds and a time and place for them.

Take Bodine's advice to start off with. One look at his boat and set-up, will tell you that he's a man that knows his stuff and takes it rather seriously.

After you get into trolling and do it for a while, you will have the hands on experience to understand what HA69 was referring to when he said it will depend on what you fish for, where you fish, how deep, and what kind of lure you use.

For example: when I first started trolling with a down rigger, I only had the heavy releases because I didn't know any better. One day I was trolling two riggers with the same lure on both. One side seemed to be getting all of the action and I was catching fish regularly on it. On the other side, nothing was happening. When I finally decided to pull it up and change the lure, I found I had been dragging a small fish for over an hour that apparently did not hit the lure hard enough for the release to do it's thing - the fish had been dead for quite a while.

So, get a couple of each release - you want a spare anyway in case you loose one.

Also, it is IMPERATIVELY IMPORTANT to watch your depth while you use a down rigger !
[signature]
All good advice given.. And let me add,, watch your rods. Many times a mere jump on the rod, or a change is the way the rod is acting spells a hook up in witch the fish (even big Mac) dont complete pull the line from the release. Its simply a matter of learning your equipment and recognizing the sometime suttle changes..
[signature]
Thanks to everybody for the good advice. Now just have to wait for the boat and some ice to melt. 22 more days.
[signature]
i agree with coldfooter, watch your rod tip. rarely do i get a hit that i dont see! thats where being sure you get the slack out of the line and create a bend in your rod is important. you want to be able to see even the slightest bump! i use medium offshore releases mostly. i dont depend on the fish to release the setup though, i depend on watching my pole.(and then i pop it out of the release- doing this gives me more control and im able to get the slack out quicker) its also important to check your rig now and again. a lot of things can go wrong- such as tangles, losing bait, or poor lure action due to changes in speed. bring it up and check it now and again, and in the event that one does hook up undetected you wont waste too much time. good luck, and have fun!
[signature]
Just to add to all the great advice given - I put all the same pound test line on all my downrigger reels - that add a consistant line size that all your releases can be set to release.
I use my downriggers just for the kokanee at the Gorge & Strawberry. I am the guy who uses rubber bands and I am a happy camper with the results. I don't have to use a rubber snubber becasue the rubber band takes the shock of the initial hit. I have tried the red & black releases but could never get my confidence high on the release working on smaller fish. Thus drag the fish until you check the line. But it is all a matter of your comfort level.

Good Luck - and don't become discourage when you hang your ball for the first time - that's why we alll have downrigger balls with a few srcatches and paint removed....
[signature]
We use off shore releases, light to medium. Trolling and downrigging is a matter or finesse to what water and boat. I learn something from every trip or from every friend that is willing to share.