Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Utah Lake Saratoga Springs Harbor 4-8
Normally I wouldn't bother to post a report like this one but this actually was one of the best rips of my life.

I took the boy out for his first official dad 'n' son fishing outing on Saturday. He's 2 1/2 and I'had talked to him about going fishing all week. When we got to the Saratoga boat harbor I couldn't believe how high the water was the jettys were completely submerged 50 feet out. I also noticed there were some nice improvements to the areaas well. a few new covered picnic tables and a sniney new fish cleaning station The were a few boats out and 1 other father/ son duo fishing from the docks. We set up with our chairs and some snacks and staked out some territory on the north jetty. The boy got busy throwing some rocks in the water and I threw out some fresh shrimp tipped with crawler (opposite sides of the levy I told the boy to never thow rocks near where peopel are fishing). The breeze wasn't too bad and it was nice to not have the typical clouds of bugs that are so common later in the season.

But to get to the point , I thought I would be done fishing in about an hour as Isaac is a typical 2 year old and I thought he' get bored fast but he loved it. "Catch fishy for dinner" "Catfish hungry... going to eat the shrimp" . After a little while with not a nibble Isaac told me he needed to go to the bathroom. So when he says he's gotta go... So we took off running for the bathroom I didn't have time to reel in the bait. Upon our return less than 5 minutes later I saw the line swimming around... I had a fish on. I reeled it in and it was a small channel cat no more than 12 inches. Turns out though that the shrimp chunk got lodged in its throat and the hook wasn't set. I tried to pul the fish up to the bank I got it about a foot out of the water and he coughed it up. Isaac was really excited that dad caught a fish. After another hour of trying to catch dinner we decided to leave. We loaded up the the truck and Isaac wanted to go back down to the docks. The other father/son duo was there and Isaac went up to themand said "we lost the fish, the fish got away...we lost it" . He was genuinly Sad that the fish got away. Apparently that one fish was the only one "caught" on the harbor while we were there. As I mentioned before, I thought I would be lucky to get an hour of fishing in but the hour turned into 3 and a half and I wondered where the time had gone. He was well behaved and we just had fun spending time together. I had to convince him that we had to go home.... "no... fish more... I want to fish more". Funny, I was thinking the same thing

I'm sure we'll have good and bad trips in the future but no matter how many fish we catch it will be hard to top this one for me.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Hey Bert, that was a great "poor fishing" report. Looks like you got the basics down on teaching kids to fish. Always make the trip about them, and not about you fishing.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I brung up three kids, mostly as a single parent, and took them fishing not only as a dutiful dad, but to save baby-sitting money. Good investment of my time and money all around. The kids turned out great (at least in the fishing department).[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I still can bring a Smile to my face as I think of the many trips that I sat in the car, engine running, llghts on, ready to go and hearing a kid's voice coming out of the dark "One more cast, Dad."[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]When you gonna get that boy a 'toon?[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Can you give me some directions to the harbor?
[signature]
great report! aren't kids the best. I use to take 5 of them. Your post brought back some fond memories. Thanks.
[signature]
Coming from I-15 Take the Lehi Main street Exit and head west. At the Intersection of Redwood Rd (U-68) theres a Chevron and a Smiths there) turn left (south) and drive about 7 miles. You'll pass a golf course on your left keep going an turn left on Cascade Drive. For now you can ignore the entrance shack as there are no day use or launch fees. It's one of my favorite places to go as I can get door to water in less than 30 minutes (I live in West Jordan). I usually just take Redwood Rd south and avoid I-15..
[signature]
That is what it is all about! Good job.
[signature]