Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Utah Lake white bass frenzy
I'd rather catch the pretty green ones but today at Utah lake the white bass were on fire. I must have caught atleast 70 with up to five fish on five casts, awesome! I only had one walleye, just a dink.
All bass were caught on one of TD's sickle hook leadheads (I need some more by the way $$[Wink]) with a 2" green twister. The carp were splashing everywhere and I managed to play with a couple of whoppers. Ugly as hell but what a fight!
The bass were pretty tight to the reeds but some were scattered, anywhere there was seperate clumps of reeds off the shore seemed to hold fish. My second pole almost became a hassle as the kitties were pretty active. All fish were released.
And a little off the subject, I lost a couple jigs due to my knot slipping. I was using 10# braided line and reeled in a carp but lost my jig to a white bass. I know the knot thing is getting old but I don't know why it slipped. I've always used the traditional wrap around 8 times and through the bottom loop, is there a better knot for braided line?
[inline ULwhitebass.jpg]

[inline herekitty.jpg]
[signature]
[font "Times New Roman"][#ff4040][size 3]Great Report! Nice fishies, but you should have kept one of those kitties and had yourself a nice dinner.[/size][/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]
I've put a little dab of super glue on the knot, and it has worked for me. I think some company makes a glue specifically for braided knots
[signature]
NICE!! I wish I coulda got into them on Thurs. when I went. Were you at Lindon or Lincoln?
[signature]
I dont think location matters, just moving water.
[signature]
The donut master (TubeDude) has a very nice, easy to tie knot, that he calls the [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=146282;search_string=knew%20knot;#146282"]Knew Knot[/url]...works like a charm. It takes tying it just once or twice, and you'll have it down. The thing is uber strong, and works well on all line types. Give it a try. I've tested it on mono and found that it has near 100% break strength. Usually the line snaps before the knot gives out. I use it on braided line and have never had it slip either.

Thanks for the whitey report. They are fun to catch, and quite tasty as well.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Great report. PM me and we can work something out on some more jigheads. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The price goes WAY up once you are "hooked".[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Man, I have been using those for about two years now, and I hardly use anything else. I pour them on both the red and the gold Matsuo sicles. Those hooks are sharper than almost any other right out of the box. I lose some blood every time I mess with them.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Best of all, they are priced down with Eagle Claw and Mustad and you don't have to take out a second mortgage to buy a box of them...unlike Gammys.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you are a light tackle fan, they are great. But, because they are fine wire, they don't hold up if you use heavy tackle on big fish. They have their place. That being said, I have landed some big cats and carp on even the smaller Matsuos. A lot of it is in the rod and how you handle it.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I've got 2 words for you: Palmero knot. I use 14 lb. Fireline and it is the ONLY knot that doesn't come undone...and when I say it doesn't come undone, if you tie to a lure, and the lure hits a hard snag...its cutting time. It will not break and it will not come undone!
Palmero knot instructions are on each box of fireline, but basically you make a loop, squeeze the end, put it through the eye, make like tying a granny, but put the loop (end) around the hook when you are done, then tighten it up and trim the tag end. You can make the tag end longer for dropshotting that way also.
So where are the White bass? I was there last weekend for 3 hours and didn't have a bite. Using a 1/4 ounce jighead with a green curly tail.

Randy
[signature]
I used to N.ot have E.nough T.ime O.ff to go fishing.  Then I retired.  Now I have less time than I had before. Sheesh.
I know what knot you are talking about, right there on the box, go figure.
[signature]
And what idiot said that there wasn't tons of white bass in the lake? What dumby said that the population has died off?

Sheesh people, they haven't gone anywhere. They have just spread out.
[signature]
[cool]I know where he was (from those pictures) but it's a spot that can't take a ton of pressure, so you'd better send him a pm if you wanna know where. The whities are in full spawn mode right now, so to catch them, just fish by any of the inlets of the lake.

The cats are starting to really turn on now with this warmer water temps. I would think that almost anywhere is good for them right now. Dang, I need to get out there!
[signature]
Great report. Glad someone can catch something at Utah Lake!
[signature]
Try the first Springville exit. Turn right at the end of the ramp then turn right again. Go to the end of the road. Happy fishing.
[signature]
I use the improved clinch not with all line types, and it never breaks. Run 6" of line through the eyelett and twist it 5 times. Run the tag through the loop at the hook and back throught the "new" loop. Pull tight on the long side and trim the tag as close as 1/16 of an inch. Enjoy!
[signature]
Hi everyone,

How's everyone doing? I'm a first time poster but have been reading the board for some time now. I love it.

I'm definetly a mediocre angler and still have a lot to learn. But I have an answer to the knot question. I went throught the same experience with fish breaking off at the knot, very frustrating!!! Don't use the normal clinch knot or improvred clinch knot. In fact don't use any knot that clinches down on the line. This causes braided or fusion line to cut into itself and severly weakens the strength of the line. Instead use what's called the Palomar knot. I pasted the link for the instructions. You probably shouldn't lose anymore fish due to the knot breaking.

[url "http://www.cabelas.com/information/cabelas-field-guides/Knot-Library-Fishing-Knots.html"]http://www.cabelas.com/information/cabelas-field-guides/Knot-Library-Fishing-Knots.html[/url]

I hope this helps.
I've used the IC not all my life, and have never had any problems. I have never seen it cut into itself as you say. To each his own i guess!
[signature]
I think from the description you are referring to the Palomar knot. [Wink] Here is an illustrated instruction [url "http://eaglespark.com/Knots/palomar.htm"]http://eaglespark.com/Knots/palomar.htm[/url].
[signature]
Hi,

I think you're absolutely corret. The IC is perfect for mono line, because the line can tighten down on itself. It just isn't the best knot for braided line.
[signature]
Like i said before, i have had no trouble even on 100# test for sturgeon. I have used it on braids from 4# to 100#. I'll just keep using the IC(not polamar) as thought.
[signature]
I agree with LH2. Especially when he said "[size 1]and back throught the "new" loop" [/size]
[size 1][/size]
I think this part is sometimes over looked.
[signature]