Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did you know?
I was talking with a guy the other day, and I thought I share a bit of the conversation. Not many people realize it, but Blue Marlin are NOT the largest billfish in the ocean. Black marlin are capable of reaching sizes in the 2000 pound mark. The world record is 1560 pounds, where as the Blue Marlin record is 1376. Blue marlin are slightly more common, hints the reason they are more often targeted and boast a higher popularity. Hawaii, most commonly the Kona islands, houses both species of marlin along with hosting the all tackle IGFA world record for Blue marlin listed above.

[Image: Trevor-Marlin-2.jpg]

Doesn't seeing a fish that size just make you want to slap your momma? [cool]
[signature]
i would love to hook up on one of those i wonder how long it will take to land one of them.
[signature]
WOW, That is a beast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
[signature]
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

TheAngler BFT Moderator
That's a nice Pokey there.[cool]
[signature]
Using the proper tackle, and if you're lucky enough to hook one on a good day, probably about 2 to 3 hours. If you're under tackled, and are lucky enough to even see color on a fish that size, 5+ hours.

I wouldn't even consider targeting large black or blue's in that size range with out a stellar crew that has proven themselves. A marlin that size could be devistating if not properly handled. I mean kill someone, sink a boat devistating.
[signature]
Two Words.......HOLY MOLY!
[signature]