Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
About ODC 420
Hey I'm very new to float tubing: This boat is my first rig. I have some questions how do you know when this tube is full enough? Does anybody have some tips besides (firmness) very subjective) as guide? Also on one side the bladder seems to have slide back I tried to push it back up to the front, but I still have wrinkles in the nylon cover on one side of the rear of the boat when I think it is full of enough air?[crazy]
[signature]
[cool]Welcome NewTubeDude. We needed another Tubedude around here. It'll give the old Tubedude a run for his money.

That's a good question - and a common one. Pump it up till it is very firm. The wrinkles should be gone when it is pumped up properly. (Now if you have a particularly tough wrinkle, as in you have a kink in the bladder or something, don't blow the thing to smitherines. But generally, especially in the ODC 420 you should be able to get rid of the wrinkles when it is properly inflated.)

[cool]Just make sure you don't leave the thing parked out in the sun or fully inflated in your car so that the air expands or you'll have more wrinkles than you could ever imagine.

zonker
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Welcome aboard. Good name. Wear it well and proudly. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Many new tubes need a couple of outings to "get the wrinkles out". You may need to deflate, adjust and reinflate a couple of times to get everything to fit properly.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I am assuming that you are filling your air bladders with a good two way pump, rather than just lung power. That will be necessary to get proper inflation.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you are airing the tube up in the early morning, before the sun comes up to hit the tube and warm the air, you will need more air to compensate for some potential "shrinkage" in cooler air and cold water. Later in the morning, if you feel that the tube is too full (hard to the touch), you can bleed off a bit of air to restore firm but not hard.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Firmness is a subjective thing. Primarily you want a ride that is solid and not floppy. Too soft and you will notice sagging and wrinkling in the cover. Not good. That usually is what you need to watch out for in the event of a puncture or leak in the valve.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]As already suggested, you should always partially (or fully) deflate your tube before transporting it any distance in your vehicle or storing it for long periods inside your home or garage. With a good pump it is fast and easy to finish airing up your ride when you are ready to fish. It is not as easy to buy a new air bladder when yours splits out under too much pressure.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Spend some time reading back through the posts, especially the best of the best. Also, we have a picture section on this board with a lot of pictorial How=To stuff.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Good luck, have fun and don't be shy about asking questions. We have several ODC 420 owners on the board and a lot of collective experience in tubing.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[Wink] Thanks for the info. I must say I've fished in all kind of boats and fishing in the tube is really cool. I've caught fish everytime out in the thing! Do you think it would be good idea to unzip the cover and see if the bladder is stuck on something or is it a bad idea to unzip the cover? Also how would you know if to much air is in the tube? Would it start to bleed of the valves, or would it just explode and ruin the bladder.
PS thinking about buying a (fish cat) from bass pro shops for $125 for my sister to fish out of she weighs about 180lbs or is it to small for her?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]You definitely need to unzip the cover and make sure everything is properly positioned inside. Deflate it to about 50% or less and then unzip the cover. If there is a twist or bunching, it should be evident and you can push it into place. That's what the zippers are for. You may need to make repairs sometime too. Just be sure to avoid getting the bladder pinched in the zipper and zip it all the way back up when finished.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The covers on modern float tubes are surprisingly tough and can withstand a lot of abuse. Normal inflation and even some overinflation are not going to ruin your craft. However, severe overinflation will either split the vinyl air bladder or rip out the seams on the cover...or both. You can judge whether it is overfull or not, but if you fill it just until it is firm enough to float you well, with no wrinkles , you should be okay.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Excess air will not bleed off through the valves. You would be in trouble if the valves leaked like that. If they are working right, they will not lose air if properly seated.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I think the Fish Cat is rated for up to 250#. I have seen tubers that size and bigger fish and stay well afloat in them. Your sis should do just fine in the Fish Cat.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Hey TubeDude I like your new ride! I'm going to the
ToysRus and get one![Smile]
[signature]
How long have you had your ODC 420? Use it much? Any tips for a new owner?

Kevin
[signature]