Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shuttlehawks....Do you use them? Do you like them?
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black]I didn't want to hi-jack the post on "braided line for downriggers" but there was some discussion on that thread about the Shuttlehawks. I am typically skeptical of some of the new-fangled equipment, but I ended up buying one two years ago and love it. I use mine as a "stacker" when I can use two rods (either at FG or when fishing with my kids at Bear Lake). For me, they work just like they claim. They are easy to set and when you hook a fish on the stacker, the hawk returns to the surface and is waiting there for you to reset without having to raise your ball. In order to stack, I add a bead to my rigger cable about 10 feet above the ball. I run my "ball line" back about 10-20 feet and then my stacker on the Shuttlehawk back anywhere from 30-100 feet. What about you guys, have you tried using them? Do you like them? Any pros, cons, or modifications that you know of? Lets here about it![/black][/font]
[signature]
I used have one, but only once. I could not tell when the line was down to the stop, but I am inexperienced with downriggers in general. As far as returning to the surface, it worked as advertised. I think with a little more practice it will be very useful.
[signature]
OK I give up. What is a a shuttlehawk? I Take it is used with a downrigger. But how and when? And why?
[signature]
Shasta Tackle sells there. Here is a link:

[url "http://www.shastatackle.com/stacking.html"]http://www.shastatackle.com/stacking.html[/url]
[signature]
I've had a chance to use them in the past, and they seem to work great! I recommend them to those of you using riggers.
[signature]
That is pretty cool![cool]
[signature]
sounds like you use them exactly like i do, bearlakefishguy. they are pretty slick. they do take some practice to learn how they feel when they reach the bead, but that comes with experience in using them. i have found that this is a lot easier if your bait doesnt have much pull. thats why i use dodgers and lures, or lures alone when using a shuttle hawk... no more pop geer when using them. they will work with pop geer, but it makes it much more difficult to get them to dive properly.

i wish i would have had one of these back when i was using my old manual downriggers!
[signature]
Question. Can two fisherpersons use the same downrigger? Is it legal?
[signature]
I like them as far as use with smaller trolling gear..
[signature]
Yes, but it is not as easy as using two downriggers and it is definitely legal (don't understand why you would even ask that question).
[signature]
i have 4 of them and really like them, havent used them a bunch but still learning[cool]
[signature]
Because at the present time I only have one down rigger. And when you get out as much as I do it is not worth it to buy another
[signature]
I use the 'hawks whenever we are at a 2 pole permit lake. The only bad thing about them is the little plastic stops got lost the first time I used them. It's nice if the top line gets pulled out you don't have to bring the ball and the bottom line back up, saves alot of fishing time.
[signature]
I have 2 of them and use them a lot. Especially when there are multiple people on the boat or if I am on a two pole lake then I can use one on each dowrigger and two people can fish 4 different depths.
jed
[signature]
I've been using them since Gary first marketed them. They work great. The main reason I started using them was at the time I had manual riggers. It was a pain in the back side to have to wind them up everytime a line released. I since bought two scotty electrics and wonder how I ever did without them. Shasta Tackle is a great company to order from. My last order I order 2 sling blades and received 3 boxes full of everything they sell and a "Have fun note" written by Gary. He even included a couple prototype lures he is working on. The best part is he only charged me for what I ordered. He must have more money than he knows what to do with because the care package priced out at around $200.00. Thanks Gary. Anyway back to the shuttlehawks. They definately work as advertised. Next to electric downriggers, they are the best invention to come along in a while for downrigging.
[signature]
I find it work great to depths of about 50' or less, and, depending on the size of gear your dragging and the speed your trolling....
** I'm not overly fond of the release provided with the S-Hawk..

Side note,, they can usually be found at most Sportsman Wearhouse and Wal-mart's in this area...
[signature]
I allso have a couple. But as Don stated I dont think they work that great at depths below 50-60 ft. I usually used them fishing for the kokes when I had manual down riggers now that I've switched to electrics I dont use them as much.
[signature]

[signature]
I use them for Kokanee mostly. The one thing I do is change the release to the offshore yellow. I think they are great but as stated in other posts, the shallower you troll the better they work. I usually stay above 60 feet when using them.
[signature]
Hey BLFG, I run two for koke fishing. I really like them. You said you run a bead for a stop? Is that something that replaces the plastic stop that comes with it? The plastic stop works but is kind of a pain. I have tried a split shot before for a stop but it didn`t work. will your bead run up through the pulley or is it something you have to take off? Trying to come up with something a little more user friendly. Thanks.
[signature]