Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry 10-24
I did a spur-of-the-moment trip to the 'Berry this afternoon. I went to Renegade with the float tube. Early on, it looked like it would be slow. I tried both some flies I have been working with and the standard tube jigs and only caught one. The usual Strawberry wind was "helping" me out too. After a while, I worked into a protected bay and the water calmed. It was then "Game ON"! In the back of that bay there were good numbers of willing fish from 10-30 ft. down. (none on the surface) I would kick troll a jig until I found fish on the finder, then vertical jig for them. I got several while trolling too. The fish were mostly slot cutts, (one maybe over, I wasn't measuring.) but I caught 3 15-16 inch rainbows as well. (The bows were fat little pigs, good to see.) I then needed to get back and kicked out of the bay. Ruh-roh, I found out how much the bay was protected from the wind, the main lake was a choppy, windy mess and I had a long ways to go to get back to the car. It took a while, but I was able to safely get back to the ramp. I can still feel the burn[pirate], but the fishing made it worth it.
[signature]
Nice job... Sounds like a lot of fun other than the W. Were you tipping your jigs with anything?
[Smile]
[signature]
Sure sounds like a great spur of the moment trip if you ask me! Nice report.
[signature]
I was tipping the tube jigs with a small crawler piece when vertical jigging. Both white/black flake and (later on) chartreuse were working for me. I don't think I was getting my flies deep enough yesterday, thus the ineffectiveness, but I was surprised that in the areas I fished that there were so few trout near the surface and in the top 10 feet of water.
[signature]