Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deep Water Fishing
I have read that fish caught below 30 feet may not survive after being released due to blood chemical changes and the expansion of their air bladder. Macks have the ability to burp gases from their air badder on the way up from the deep which I have seen many times. Many cutts are caught at Bear Lake and Strawberry alot deeper than 30 feet. What is the best way to handle fish caught deep to increase the odds of their survial? Has anybody seen fish with problems from being caught deep such as their air bladder protruding from its mouth? I have never seen this.

MackAttack
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I try not to get in a hurry reeling them in. I take my time and give them plenty of time to adjust as best they can. I've caught and release tons of fish from depths as deep as 130+ ft and the fish seemed fine upon releasing. I also seen fish belly up upon release and those are the ones that end up in the frying pan. [/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I have seen fish caught (trout, cutthroats) that have protruding air bladders but if you take your time bring them in, I've noticed that the chances of this taking place is a lot less.[/size][/font]
[signature]
BLM thanks for your response, I agree with you, by bringing the fish in slowly from the deep allows the fish to adjust to the pressure change a little more. It is also a good idea to release the fish as quickly as possible to minimize the stress on the fish as much as possible. The quicker it can return home to the deep the better.

MackAttack
[signature]
i have caught alot of fish in deep water when salt water fishing i am talking 300 to 1500 feet.. and what we have found that works is take a small syringe needle and let the gas out of the air blater it will allow the fish to go back the the deep and readjust on the way back down.. and that is what the cal state fish & game recomends for the release of deep water fish...[sly]

from the fuzzyfisher----------fish on dude
[signature]
I emailed Tom Pettengill and asked if there were any other fish in Utah, besides the mackinaw, that could burp off gases on the way up from being caught in deep water. Here is his response:

"None of the other game species. I think some of the suckers have a
connection between their air bladder and their throat. Trout in general
seem to handle being brought up from deeper water better than warm water
species. Perch seem to be really bad and are very difficult to release
if caught much deeper than 30 feet. I've seen walleyes at Willard that
were caught out of 22 - 24 feet of water that after being held in a
livewell for a while couldn't go back down because their air bladder had
expanded.

I hope this helps.

Thomas D. Pettengill
Sport Fisheries and Aquatic Education Coordinator
State of Utah
Department of Natural Resources
Division of Wildlife Resources
1594 W. North Temple, Suite 2110
P.O. Box 146301
Salt Lake City, Utah 84114-6301
801-538-4814
801-538-4745 (Fax)
[url "http://commcenter.attbi.com/wmc/v/wm?cmd=ComposeTo&adr=tompettengill%40utah%2Egov&sid=c0"][#0000ff]tompettengill@utah.gov[/#0000ff][/url]"
[signature]
[cool]Have taken lots of fish from water deep enough to result in the expanded bladder. The aforementioned deep water rockfish situation is fairly common on the California fishing boats. I have also dredged up a bunch or largemouth from winter depths while spooning in several lakes...including Deer Creek. Largemouths and smallmouths both develop the protruding bladder syndrome. Yellow perch from the depths of Deer Creek and Yuba also get floaty.

I was told by a fisheries biologist in California that the preferred method of releasing the expanded air in a fish's bladder was with a small hollow needle. But, he said that a quick small puncture with a sharp knife point will serve almost as well. It will allow the fish to return to the depths, and the small opening will heal closed quickly, with no loss of blood or permanent trauma to the fish. I verified this to my own satisfaction by catching previously released perch from about 50 feet beneath the ice on Deer Creek. Several re-catches were easily recognizable by unique anatomical features, and the remaining hook holes in their lips...as well as the fact that on their second trip out of the hole they did not have a protruding bladder.

I have used a hollow needle when I had one, but have used the knife point on many other occasions, with no visible casualties...even when deep spooning in open water. A small hole in the air bladder is less damaging than floating on the water, waiting for Utah's state bird to find the fish...or some freezer filler who doesn't care where the fish comes from.

One of the deep water species off the California coast that apparently suffers no harm from depressurization is the ling cod. You can bring them up from 200 feet or more and they can turn around and swim all the way back to the bottom, without having to release a swollen air bladder.
[signature]
[blue][size 2]I've read a lot about fizzing fish (puncturing the air bladder with a hypodermic needle), but I've NEVER read a fisheries biologist recommend it. Many studies indicate a delayed mortality--they die on the bottom rather than floating to the surface where you can see them. The only difference I can see is to the ignorant angler who feels better about not being able to see the fish he's killing and wasting because they're not floating on the surface.[/size][/blue]

[blue][size 2]Here's how to fizz. Go to the anal hole and count five scales forward and three scales left or right of the anal hole and put the needle in at a 45 degree angle. Submerge the fish so you can see the air bubbles disappear.[/size][/blue]

[blue][size 2]The problem is that if the air bladder is already protruding from the fish's mouth, the fish has already suffered internal damage and will likely die. If you fizz the fish properly, it can get an infection, or you might puncture vital organs. I've also heard of people putting snap-weights on the fish's fins to keep them submerged and right side down in the livewell. But one foot of water in the livewell isn't enough pressure to help much.[/size][/blue]

[blue][size 2]I've also heard of people getting a large hook, removing the barb, attaching a heavy weight to the hook's eye and tying the fishing line to the bend. Then lightly poke the fish in the hose or bottom lip and let the weight take it to the bottom, then a quick yank up releases the fish at the bottom of the lake.[/size][/blue]

[blue][size 2]Personally, I think any angler worth any kind of ethics will stop fishing deeper than 30' once he's caught his limit.[/size][/blue]
[cool]Does that mean no C&R for bass and other fish that go deep during the summer...or winter...or whenever? And, what if the object is not to catch a "limit", and there are no fish shallower than 30 feet?

Fish bladders are not sensitive, vascular tissue and DO heal quickly when punctured. Most of us fishermen have caught fish that have obviously suffered much greater damage to bodies and organs and have healed and survived. As per a recent thread, many fish survive for months (or longer) with undissolved hooks puncturing their innards. It's a dangerous world down there and fish are tougher than we would like to believe. They're not all as wimpy as hatchery pets.

I also have heard the claims of virtually 100% mortality on fish that have been brought to the surface and "fizzed". I have also read and heard of diving studies that have found little or no mortality on fish thus released. My own personal experience is that I have caught the same fish several times over a season, after "deflating their ego"...and have heard of the same experience from other knowledgeable anglers.

I'll watch for you in the shallows.
[signature]
In response to reeling a fish slowly to the surface, Tom Pettengill responded"

"If your planning on releasing a fish it is better for them on one hand
to bring them up slowly. The down side of that is there are other
negative effects of fighting a fish for a long time if you plan to
release it. They build up lactic acid in their muscles that can also
cause delated mortality. It's a trade off and I don't have one good
answer for you."
[signature]
Fizzin' a fish? Perhaps we should give 'em Alka Seltzer tablets??? IMAO[Tongue]
[signature]