Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mardi Gras Parades Kick Off Today
[cool][cool] With the weather putting a damper on the fishing and there being a parade in Slidell, La. where I live it was a good opportunity to take the family for a day of catching beads and other trinkets thrown off of the floats. Better yet it was an opportunity to watch my grandson marching for the first time in his high school band, but he sure was whipped out at the end of the 8 mile march, as were the rest of the band. For those who don't know there are parades every weekend leading up to Mardi Gras day (Fat Tuesday) which is February 20th. this year. The celebration leading up to Mardi Gras is to have fun before the start of the Lenten Season which starts at 12:01 a.m. the following day (Ash Wednesday). There will be parades in New Orleans and the sorrounding areas with as many as 25 floats and many area and out of town bands competeing for the best band in the parade. Today we caught a large bag of beads as the revelers on the floats were throwing like wild and what great costumes the men women and children had on. It takes about an hour for a 20 float parade to pass but it really feels like 30 minutes when you get caught up in all the fun. There are more kids on the parade route than adults and they are all screaming "Hey, throw me something mister" and they would get pelted with throws but they would just keep on screaming. Everyone should experience Mardi Gras once in their lives, it is something they won't forget as you watch the adults screaming along with the kids, turning into kids themselves. I know I have great memories and plenty of pictures to enjoy and show my grandchildren and I have something better I can that them to see it. Here are a few photos of todays parade.

CAPT. HOOK / TEAM ESCAPE

985 847 0672 H
504 512 2602 CEL

www.escapefishingcharters.com
[signature]
Thanks for sharing the nice pics. I never have been to the Mardi Gras. I may hit it some day.

It's kind of hard to get my mind off of fishing long enough to get out and travel right now. Of course I do plan certain trips or adventures around certain fishing spots though. It really drives my wife nuts when my tackle box is bigger than my suitcase. lol
[cool]
[signature]
Like tuben2, i've never been to Mardi Gas before. I honestly can't say that i'd want to either. Maybe about 8 years ago, but not now. Besides, like my wife would let me do it anyhow. LOL

I think i'd rather be fishing than on the Mardi Gras scene anyhow. There's really nothing better than a calm day, floating over the reef, stretching the 65lb power pro. [cool]
[signature]