Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Micro Midge Tutorial
Seeing how every took an interest in the 32's I made a little tutorial of how I make mine. Starting with material:
Hook: Tiemco 2488
Thread: Griffith 14 Black
Tail: Black Micro Fibetts
Rib: Griffith 14 Red
Body Griffith 14 black
Wings: Snow Shoe Bunny (any color) Tied figure 8 then like a parachute to make them stand up
[Image: Size32011.jpg]

[Image: Size32001.jpg]
[Image: Size32003.jpg]
[Image: Size32004.jpg]
[Image: Size3205.jpg]
[Image: Size3206.jpg]
[Image: Size3207.jpg]
[Image: Size3208.jpg]
[Image: Size3209.jpg]
[Image: Size32010.jpg]
I use a very fine wire from a little armeture to hold flies:
[Image: Size32012.jpg]
[signature]
amazin!i dont think i could get my sausage fingers to make somethin that small lol!you got skill girl!
[signature]
If i ever need 32's i know who to ask![cool]
[signature]
Cool looking fly. I saw something called a "bunny midge" once that looks like it was copied from your pattern. Do you know what's the difference between the two patterns?
[signature]
Actually a good friend and innovative tier named "Cheech" came up with the bunny midge. In all fairness this is a "micro" bunny midge.
flygoddess usually ties hers with para post material for wings. She experimented with Cheech's 28's and took it to 30's and 32's. Micro midge, bunny midge. It's all the same. They catch fish. I heard thru the grapevine (I can't confirm this until I ask or see him) Cheech is trying to find 34's and 36's. The Japanese market is ripe with hooks that small. They also have the Varivas 10X and 12X tippet. Set this up with a fiberglass rod like this [url "http://www.studio-thinline.com/graphite/index.html"]http://www.studio-thinline.com/graphite/index.html[/url]
And for more of the same
[url "http://www.danica.com/flytier/sfp_previewx/sfp_preview.htm"]http://www.danica.com/flytier/sfp_previewx/sfp_preview.htm[/url]
[signature]
I tied a few of those bunny midges from Cheech's recipe. I hope to use them tomorrow afternoon after my daughter's Junior Jazz game (and No I won't be punching out any refs![cool]). Cloudy, showers, 40s: the perfect recipe for a little topwater action for a nymph-challenged angler (I'm not really that challenged - I just like to fish the top)
[signature]
So what is Cheech's recipe?
[signature]
http://sweetflies.com/FlyTyingTutorials/...fault.aspx

Here is the one that I use. Just click on Bunny Midge. Also try out the bunny midge emerger.

Nice fly Joni. I like the fibbett tail.

BTW, 32 is as far as I like to go. If there were smaller I wouldn't use them. I have been tying these on 30s and 32s for a few years now, and sometimes that's all the'll eat.
[signature]
Excellent tutorial TubeDud. I think I'd better tie up some of these midges. Ok you gurus: Flygoddess, I notice the body on yours is thicker and the tail is proportionally a little longer. How do you gauge that or does it matter? TubeDud, it looks like your fly body is just thread with a small taper. Is that better compared to a "fuller" body area?

Fun stuff. Thanks for the links!
[signature]
[black][size 3]Hey Tube Dud, nice site. I enjoyed it a lot. I am so glad you have taken the fly tying to the extreme that you have!. I miss the old days at Orvis when we would compete to see who came up with the weeks FLY. You always came up with some great patterns. I like the stringer fly. I remember I did that with the Gartside softhackle. Haven't done any lately, but they did help with stillwater hook-ups.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Keep up the good work, and why don't you consider doing a tutorial with pictures like I did on this forum.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]People seem to really like it.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Thanks again.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]FG[/size][/black]
[signature]
I could do that. It's just easier to post a link. If you don't like me to post the sweetflies stuff I don't have to. I can just do pics here.

Orvis was fun. Too bad it's gone. Any fly that you would like to see?
[signature]
nothing shows up?? is this a ghost post
[signature]
[black][size 3]Sorry got a little side tracked[cool][/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Here is the IRISH SPRING Micro MIDGE with para-post wing:[/size][/black]
[inline "More 32's 1.jpg"]
[signature]
Here is a ( ) pattern It works better than the bunny midge
I also included a sweet picture of my jack o lantern from this year. (I stole the idea from the internet.)
[signature]
[black][size 3]That pumpkin looks like I fell last week[crazy][/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Nice Real Midge....Right On![/size][/black]
[signature]
Dude, when you look at these small flies that have been macro'd and posted they look a lot different then they do when they're on the end of your tippet. I doubt if your or my eyes could really tell the difference in the body thickness or length. I doubt it a fish could really tell the difference in moving water.
[signature]
Gee, those flies are tiny! And I thought fishing size 22-24 with 6x was going small. Do hooks that small often pull out of the fishes mouth? I couldn't imagine landing a fish of any size on one of those things but if you couldn't I guess you wouldn't tie them. Is it hard to get a hook set?
[signature]
[black][size 3]Good questions Ghoti_Hook. I have used hundreds of these and only had a couple hooks straighten, but that could have also been caused by the current.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Fishing with 6X you know you can't muscle the fish.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]When the fish feed, they more or less inhale the food, if it isn't right, they spit it back out. With a 32, they really can't or don't spit it out. [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]As far as setting the hook, it pretty much does it itself.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]The bad thing is, the gap and hook are so small they catch on everything[cool][/size][/black]
[signature]
What fly would be used below Jordaniele Dam, this time of year ?
[signature]
Midge patterns are good. Something like the bunny midge, zebra midge, Yong Special, griffith's gnat, sprout midge etc. Guess it depends on what you like to fish: dries, nymphs etc.
[signature]