Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
REDFISH HEADED FOR THE ALTAR
"TEAM ESCAPE" had a liesurely and fun day yesterday as my son joined me for a trip to the marshes in search of reds mainly for our local churches' St. Joseph Altar. Trout weren't totally out of the question as we headed for the marshes around Shell Beach. The tide was very low as we approached the shoreline and in the marsh and I knew that the spots that we wanted to catch reds were to shallow to try so I decided to let the East wind do its' job and bring the water up into the ponds and then head in. I decided to try and work the shoreline of the lake titelining H&H root beer curly tails and we had some nice 2 lb. trout take our offerings as we were working out from the shoreline about 50 yards and throwing in and out using a steady retrieve. We spent about 2 hours and picked up 24 trout but now it was time to head into the marsh for a little more tug on our lines as the water had come up enough to get into the ponds. We tied on H&H gold weedless spoons and worked the irregular shorelines in 3 different ponds and landed 7 nice reds for the St. Josephs Altar. The red bite was not a vicious strike, but instead it was a soft pickup and they would just swim off with the spoon but then hold on because when you set the hook the battle was on as they broke water and churned up the muddy bottom and ran all around the boat. All and all it was a great day on the water as I got to spend it with my son, was able to help out my church and caught some fish to. ANOTHER GREAT DAY IN THE BLAZER BAY.
CHALLENGER RODS AND H&H BAITS HAULED THEM IN AGAIN
If you wanted to get in on some great S.E. Louisiana Springtime action, give us a call.
CAPT. HOOK / "TEAM ESCAPE"
985 847 0672 h
504 512 2602 cel
[signature]
Great report Capt.

You mentioned the tides in your report. I remember a fishing trip last season when I got stranded on an oyster bed getting over zealous. LOL, I thought my boat was shallow enough to make it over the bed, but I found out the hard way it wasn't. The current was ripping so hard I couldn't move the boat off of it, and I had to wait for the tide to come in; about 45 minutes. [Tongue]
[signature]
Know how you feel, I've had a few close calls myself. I remember one day when I was deep in the marshes, fishing some ponds for reds and a Northwester came through early and the winds picked up to 25 to 30 kts. and the water that was already low and falling began to scream out of the marsh. Needless to say we cranked up and headed the 2 miles toward the lake and as we rounded the last turn it didn't look good at the mouth as the bottom was starting to show so I had to make a snap decision, to stop and be stuck the better part of the night or go for it. Well we went for it and when we hit the mud flat it was about 10 ins. deep for about 50 yards. Set my jack plate all the way up and trimmed up as high as I could and punched the throttle and at 55 mph I was lucky enough to blow through the mud, if it would have been 3 ins. lower I know I would have spent the night. It was a close one and now I try to keep a step ahead of the weather....Hook
[signature]