Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
March 6th Update
March 3, 2003
Tarpon fishing showed a dramatic slow down on Saturday evening. Having not fished on Sunday evening and not knowing if the slow down was continuing, Jorge Rodriguez, Robert Fernandez, and I left Spinnaker Marina at 5 PM to catch some tarpon at Haulover Inlet.

A light SE wind had us using floats for a part of the evening. The live shrimp on the P170 7/0 circle hooks from Eagle Claw were doing their part. The tide was incoming most all evening. Everything seemed perfect for some fast and furious tarpon action. We went 5 for 5 on LADYFISH that is!! As the saying goes, "The tarpon have left the Inlet & Beach area", atleast for Monday evening.

I'll be fishing for tarpon again on Wednesday evening. If the slow down continues, then it will be time to make the run to Government Cut. Check my report on late Wednesday night for the up to date information on the tarpon action.

March 5, 2003
The question I had on my mind this evening was whether or not there would be tarpon at Haulover Inlet. A slow Saturday and no tarpon on Monday evening had me wondering if the fish were moving south to Government Cut or if it was just a slow down for a few days.

The late afternoon and dusk period had us still searching for the first tarpon strike. Finally, at 7:35 pm when I was threatening to go to Government Cut, we caught our one and only tarpon of the evening. The 90 pound fish allowed us to get the catch very quickly. Then it finally realized that something was wrong and it was another 35 minutes before we actually released it. Our next drift produced a ladyfish and then fishing got tough. Live shrimp is still the bait of choice.

Each season we usually have a slow down period that lasts from 1 to 2 weeks. This year appears to be no exception. The only thing we can do is wait it out and see how long it will last. The good news is that once they make their come back, they are usually strong for the remainder of the season.

Today (March 6) was the first time that I fished offshore since Sunday. I ran the 45' Hatteras, Bill Time, owned by Bill Borkan. We left Bill's dock at 10 am and ran to Government Cut to catch bait. The pilchards were plentiful and it didn't take very long to fill the live well. Starting in the Cuban Hole area, we were presented with a south wind and no current. The kingfish and bonito were very cooperative and after catching 3 kings and 3 bonito, we ran further offshore in hopes of finding a dolphin or two. At 10 miles out and after finding nothing to fish to, I decided to put out some dolphin juniors and start trolling back in. It turned out to be the right choice. A 15# dolphin struck the starboard rod and had the clicker screaming. Bill made quick work of bringing it to the boat where Mike Dumas Jr. did a great job of gaffing and adding the dolphin to the fish box.

We'll be back out on Bill's boat again tomorrow for another wonderful day of fishing and enjoying the beautiful South Florida weather.

Captain Dave Kostyo
Knot Nancy Fishing Charters
305 620-5896 Charter
305 732-2628 Beeper
[url "http://www.knotnancy.com/"][#ff2f3d]www.knotnancy.com[/#ff2f3d][/url]
[url "mailto:nkostyo@bellsouth.net"][#ff2f3d]nkostyo@bellsouth.net[/#ff2f3d][/url]
[signature]