Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I 80 pond?
any one heard any "monster" stories out of there yet this year, seems there are a few tails every year. i have not fished it yet but i was starting to think on it a bit for an afternoon of playin. just wondering.
[signature]
What pond are you talking about?
[signature]
Could you PM me about what pond ? Thanks
[signature]
Those ponds have a very bad water you could glow in the dark if you eat fish from there.

The water comes from KC and the other plants along the 21st street I worked there for years and the water is bad....
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]The little elongated ponds sit mostly out of view beside I-80 going west toward Toole. You get down to them by taking one of the turnoffs between the highway and the nearby Salt Lake. You can walk down or carry a tube.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The lakes are not big and they do not have many fish LEFT in them. It is all natural reproduction and unfortunately there was some media publicity about them a few years ago that resulted in a lot of unneeded pressure...and harvest. There used to be some nice bass and lots of decent bluegills in those ponds but it now rare to catch anything of any size. Still, it can be fun for some C&R flyrodding in the evening.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]As Bassrods suggests, the water is heavily polluted by the cocktail of chemicals that run off from the nearby copper processing facilities. I do not think they have ever done a complete test of the levels of various chemicals. The water would probably dissolve the testing equipment.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]It has always been amazing to me how some fish can adapt and live in some of the waters they do. Is is also amazing that some people HAVE to keep all the fish they catch, even if they know they are not good and they won't use them. I have heard of anglers finding large numbers of fish just thrown on the bank around those ponds. What a waste.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you want closeby fishing, and to be able to keep a couple for the table, go to the urban fisheries waters. For that matter, fish the Jordan River. That is one body of water that don't get no respect and always has some kind of fish to bend your stick and stretch your string.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Mac, just take SR201 west untill you junction with I 80 right as you come off the ramp to join it there is a view area on the right to look at the great stink lake, park at the east end of that and you will see the trail eastern bound down the hill to the pond, take bug spray garlic and deet...maybe some kind of sonic device, the skeeters breed well in the tall grasses...you can "walk the pipe" or slip in a john boat or tube at the west end of the pond. you will see what walking the pipe is when you get there.

as mentioned i would NEVER keep anything out of this pond, I fish there for pure fun of stickin a few buckets, in the last 4 years the biggest one I got was 3 pounds (guessing no scale) and many dinks...its like a phosphorus pond anomaly or something from the old sledge stuff from the copper house, but its butted up against the GSL so water seeps through the ground between them, the salt comes out and it keeps the pond full....I also want to hit that lake at the Tooele exit i see birds eating fish outta there all the time when i go that way.

this pond is more urban myth maker than anything fellas, dont expect huge fish, maybe no fish, you can play with quarter sized gills with some of the left over ice jigs ya got...ratfinkees and all you dont need bait just drop it in. have fun.

oh a light weight folding step stool may come in handy to get you over the pipe...unless you have a 5 foot vertical jump
[signature]