Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thinking of getting an Auto Inflatable PFD (help please)
Thinking about purchasing a set of Auto Inflatable PFDs...
[inline "Auto Inflatable PFD.jpg"]
Something like this model... Don't know anyone who has one, have lots of questions.
1. Will the things inflate like say in a rain storm or maybe snow storm while Ice fishing? Or what about when stored in the boat and they get wet?
2. How do you like the dang things? Are they worth the cost?
3. Should I also purchase a few recharge kits?
Any help on the subject would be greatly appreciated.
[signature]
Tomc did a great story on these on the boating board. My father has had one for a few years now and it's worked well for him rain or shine. Doesn't get in his way to fish and gives him confidence while fishing alone.
[signature]
[black][size 3]They are the only way to go in float tubes and pontoons, cause you just don't have room for the other ones.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Nothing can stop these things from inflating aside from a hole or no CO2 in the cartridge.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]A lot of people use them on portions of the Green that require a floatation devise be worn.[/size][/black]
[signature]
Hey Daffy. Those are not necessarily water activated. You have to pull the pin to pierce the CO2 cartridge on them.

I, as well as a few other members, have some made by SOSpenders. They are very lightweight and give you plenty of room to move around in comfort.[cool]
[signature]
[black][size 3]Hey daffy, [/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]before you rush out and get one of these, read the comments under the boating heading on this forum.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]They have reported a major recall on most of these PFDs. I haven't explored the recall in depth, but I think that it would be worthwhile to do so.[/size]
[signature]
The first thing i'd do is see what's up with the recall that saberfish mentioned. See what brands are affected by it and which ones aren't.

I had been dancing around purchasing one for my father in law. They would be really light weight, and amoung other thing, alot cooler to wear in the summer time. Not to mention they would take up alot less room on the boat, and save room for other important things..............Like food. [Tongue]

Let us know what you find out! [cool]
[signature]