Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TURKEY HUNT
The wife and I just returned from our turkey hunt near Roosevelt. This was our first attempt at hunting turkey. She killed her Tom yesterday. It had a 9 1/2 in. beard with 1 1/8 in spurs and I took my Tom this morning, it sported an 8 in. beard with 3/4 in spurs. We had a blast, and were sorry it ended so fast, but we were lucky to be able to hunt between storms.[cool]
[signature]
Congtrats to you and the Mrs. on two nice gobblers. Thanks for the post and the pics, Good on ya Both. Thanks Pete

Rileyfish
[signature]
Nice going. You're a lucky man that has a wife willing to hunt with you. Those sure are some nice birds. Congrats
[signature]
Thanks for the comments, we do get along well together and we both love to hunt and fish. It has worked for us so far as this Sept. will be our 40th anniversary.[cool]
[signature]
This being our first turkey hunt we weren't sure how much they wieghed so we stopped at a grocery store this morning and the wife's turkey went 17.8 lbs dressed, I'm not sure what it would have went live but probably close to 19 1/2 to 20 lbs. I guess that is fair sized for a Rio Grande tom but I'm not sure. You would not believe the shot she made last evening from her ground blind. There were 5 mature Tom's comming into the decoys but they busted us at about 35 yards and started a retreat, a quick couple of chirps stopped the last one and she busted him at 51 yards, I ranged this with my range finder and could hardly believe it. My buddy sat off to the side and slightly behind us calling as well. He didn't think you could kill one that far. She was shooting a 12 gauge 870 Express in 3 in. Mag. with copper coated #4 shot turkey loads made by Federal. She also had a special Turkey full choke on the gun. Mine was taken a quite a bit closer this morning (20 Yds.) with the same load in a 3 1/2 Beneli 12 gage. He came in to the decoys 20 minutes after shooting time with three other toms. I didn't wiegh him but judged him at 14 to 15 lbs. live wieght.[Smile]
[signature]
That is awesome! Congrats on baggin' a couple of nice birds.
[signature]
Congrats to your Wife for kickin' yer butt with a bigger tom, Pete! LOL... [Tongue]

All kidding aside, congrats to both of you on a successfull hunt! [cool]
[signature]
[font "Lucida Console"][#ff4040]Great work on those nice looking birds!![/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]
I will second what bearclaw said, Your a lucky man to have a wife that loves to hunt and go with you like that. Mine is good about me going and such, She will go once in a great while just to camp, But not very often. And yes that is a great shot your wife pulled off at that distance. Godd for her. Once again, Great post and pics, Thanks for sharing with us
[signature]
Great looking birds! I can't believe she took him from 5oyds with #4 shot? thats one amazing shot from that distance specially using a standard load not them special expensive loads. Did she hit him in the head? Nice job!!!
[signature]
Havn't been able to access this site since last weekend, can't log in so I'm using the computor at work. We were using Special Turkey Loads on these birds.
[signature]