Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Flys Should A beginer buy?
I have seen a vast amount of flies online and at the store. I have read many books on fly fishing and have learned to cast fairly well. But i have no idea what flys to buy and when to use them! So if you can tell me what flies to start with and when and how to use them would be very helpful! [Smile]
[signature]
There is a fellow BFT member who ties great flies.
If you would send him a PM, tell him where you fish, and what you are fishing for, I'm sure he could help you.

Send TubeDud a Private message, and ask him. Several members on the site have used his flies, and I hear nothing by good.

If you have questions or need help, give me a PM.

A site to see samples of his flies is:

[url "http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e67/cpierce0311/flies/"]http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e67/cpierce0311/flies/[/url]
[signature]
Great advise Saberfish. Clark is very good.
[signature]
Thanks for the kind words. I can tie some ugly stuff that will catch a fish or two. I'm just now tying up a bunch of patterns for Salmon, and also for bonefish, etc. Those flies are fun! They just take a bit more time and patience.
[signature]
Since your new and summer is almost here I would suggest you start with dry flies. Get some size 12 and 14 caddis, humpies, stimulators or similar patterns. Go give them a try. They're the easiest to learn and some of the most fun. If you stick with fly fishing try some terrestials like hoppers , beetles and ants in late summer as well. Come fall would be a good time to learn to nymph and fish streamers. Just start out with a few basic patterns but remember I warned you this can be addicting.
[signature]
Sizes 14, 16, and 18 of the following. Elk hair caddis, parachute adams, rusty spinner, phesant tail nymph. Some #8 or 10 stone fly nymphs. Some #8 or #10 hoppers. Some #14 Humpys for fun.

Remember, its not the fly, its the PRESENTATION. Dead Drift!!!!! Fish first look at the silouette of the fly. Match what they're seeing and/or eating. Next most important is the size of the fly. Color is least important. With these flies, you have most hatches covered at any stage. Buy or tie the specialty flies and "hot local patterns" as you need them. (CDC flies, emergers, midges, drakes, etc.)
[signature]
Hey metal_fish what waters or rivers do you plan on fishing ?

I find that youll want to grab 1. trigger flies and 2. feeding flies.

Feeding flies are one like the ones mentioned earlier in the post.. elk hair caddis, parachute adams, ect ect kinda depends on what rivers or lake your going to fish.

Trigger flies will trigger strike weather the fish are hungry or not. some examples are wooly buggers & streamers.

Make sure you grab some wooly buggers natual colors and orange, streamers, & muddler minnows. Ive found weather you fishing bass, trout or even bluegill\crappie the'll hit one of these three files.

Also hit up your local library grab a entomology book( or even google it) and find out what caddis, may, & nymph flies look like from larva to adult fly that way when you see them them flying around or stuck to a bottom of a rock you'll know what flies to pull from your box.

Happy Fishing and tight Lines
[signature]