Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Want to buy flies
Its been about 5 years since I picked up my fly rod (I can't believe
I said that) and am now wanting to give it another go....

Here is my questions: I want to buy about 50 flies (some wooley buggers, leach patterns, small nymphs and a few dry flies).

Where would be a good place to get some? In the past, I tried Sportman's. They weren't too bad, but I would like to get your
opinion.
[signature]
I go to Anglers Den near/in Riverdale. They've got a great selection and pretty knowledgable staff (plus close to work...).

Great local store. Tons of other stuff too. That's my recommendation, but then again, I've never been to Sportsman warehouse.
[signature]
I second what hartz says.

I have found that Sportmans' flies aren't tied all that strong. I have had nymphs unravel after 1 fish.... I tie my own stuff now.

Lance at Angler's Den can hook you up. [cool]
[signature]
Go to Utahonthefly.com and make this inquiry. Herb or Cheech both tie amazing & durable flies.
[signature]
I can accomodate you send me an email at jw_ferg@yahoo.com
[signature]
You may not want to send links to other forums... [crazy]
[signature]
I agree on the posting another forum, plus...THOSE GUYS ON UOTF ARE BRUTAL[Tongue][Wink]
Cheech is real busy right now but try giving him a PM he goes by TUBEDUD here. He does tie some incredible flies and they can take a beating.
I buy at Sportsmens (mostly for clients if I need a lot of flies) you can't beat the price on a dozen, but my Prince Nymphs usually end up one winged after a hit.[laugh]
[signature]
You are right about the price though! Can't beat that!

With pretty much any of their nymphs I have had problems with the head coming untied, or like you said with the prince. I also buy anything with a parachute from there. I know they are tough to keep on no matter what, but I have had them come off on just a strike before. [Sad]

You tie most of your own stuff anyway don't ya?

Oh, off topic, were you guiding the Green last weekend?? I was up there, and on Saturday the cidadas were getting slammed.
[signature]
Flycasting, you ready for this......I have never even fished the Green before. I am a Snake River girl. I don't know why I haven't, I just always go North.
I guided at a Lodge up in Altamont (about an hour away from the Green), but I was not certified for the Green.
I do tie my own flies, but when you get ten clients a week and most are beginners and tend to loose flies, it was easier to stock up on flies. Either that or spend my evening tying, which up there in Altamont, the evenings were so beautiful I hated being inside.
[signature]
I don't know where I got the idea that you guided the Green... I must be crazy! [Tongue]

You really should try it though. It is absolutely gorgeous up there, and when the cicadas come on... It looks like wiper boils out there.

Really more than anything, it's just a beautiful place to get out. For me, actually being able to fish in such a place is just a bonus. [cool]
[signature]
I hear that.
Back to flies, I just read that Orvis is having a big sale on flies. I know they are good flies, but not sure what this sale inclueds. Might be work a look however.
[signature]
Thanks for all the help. I actually used to tie my own flies and will
admit that I don't have the time or patience anymore. I can also
say there were only a few patterns I ever tied that I would put in my box.

One of my favorite flies is an Adams and I gave up on trying to tie that.

I used to fish Treasureton (in Idaho) and that lake, along with the South Fork of the Snake, is what got me "hooked".

Now that I live in the middle of nowhere, I haven't flyfished at all. However, there are a few spots up here that I am ready to try.

Thanks for all the advice. I think I will leave my "never used fly tying kit" alone and hit Sportsman's or Anglers Den.

JP
[signature]
[black][size 3]I have posted and recommended a source of good flies on here before. If I didn't slowly tie my own, and was looking for good flies, I would suggest that you PM TubeDud here on the site, and let him know what you are fishing for, and where you intend to fish.[/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]Pictures of his flies can be seen at:[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[url "http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e67/cpierce0311/flies/"]http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e67/cpierce0311/flies/[/url]

He, (Cheech), can tie anything that you want or feel that you might need.
[signature]
Hey CAD
this winter pull out that fly tying kit and get busy. start with the basic big stuff ty up some buggers and leeches, and put them in your box. theres nothing that will get yu tying like catching some fish with your own flies.
[signature]
MY GODDESS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! never fished the green??????????
A couple of years ago,My dear mother won a guided trip to the teton river ranch, guided we stayed in are dear Gov. Huntsmans
cabin. We fished the teton and so fork of the snake.
While eating dinner several nights in a row, with several YUPITY YUPS from around the country. The debate I kept having with several of these guys and gals. (which had never fished the green)
was there is and are greater rivers on this earth than the snake.
Dont get me wrong the snake is a blast. But the whities, and the hybrids, and the whities.
I adore your positive attitude, and your knowledge, and your wonderful flies. If you ever take any of my advice.................
Girl you need to go fish the beautiful green river,and catch its awesome colorful abundant big trout, on a dry. june is the time.
You dont need to even float it. Go to little hole, get up 1 hour before light walk a couple miles upstream,and fish back to avoid the crowds.
[signature]
Oh Okay......[cool] You are right and I WILL FISH THE GREEN!
[signature]
Now for an opposing point of view on the Green (I know, I'm a trouble maker [Tongue]). I'm no expert having only fished Little Hole 4 or 5 times and the last time being 3 or 4 years ago. But the reason I don't plan on fishing it any time soon is even if you go when there isn't crowds, the fish are tame. I heard someone call them Green River slugs and thought that was an appropriate term. Sure there are plenty of big fish but if you want to land a fish that had a chance of getting away because it fights my experience suggests the Little Hole is the last place to fish. One trip I can remember landing plenty of 20 to 25 inch fish that barely even swam away when released let alone even try to get off the hook on the way in. On the way home I hit tiny Carter Creek and a typical 12 inch fish there had 3 times the fight than those on the big ones on the Green. If I do go again I'll go further down stream and fish for the big browns. I'd take summer fishing on the Snake any day over the Green. Sure I lose more of the big ones I hook there but that's because they know how to fight .
[signature]
I hear you on that. Occasionally you will get a fish pissed off, but for the most part they are wet socks that know the routine. The Green used to fish a lot better than it does now. Maybe it's just because I suck at fishing it...
[signature]
I seriuosly dought it is you Tube Dud![Wink]
[signature]
Tubedud,

I sent you a PM regarding the subect on this thread. Thanks
[signature]