Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flats Boat help !
Okay Im looking for a 16-18 ft flats boat. I want to be able to get in the skinny water...But also be able to go just a bit off shore. Like maybe a mile out. Ive never fished out of a flats boat..Can they handle getting a little off shore. What brands do you reccomend? I mainly flyfish but also spin and bait fish. Im looking for a boat that want break the bank acct! Any suggestions would be helpful
Thanks SC_Flyguy
[signature]
most bay boats will be ideal for you they draft under 1 foot,for going out that distance i would be looking at an 18-20 ft and keep an eye and ear on the weather and listen to the marine forcast
[signature]
there are many good brands outthere,here is a small list
boston whaler(190 montauk,180 dauntless)
carolina skiff
sea chaser
maritime skiff
proline
seapro
sea hunt
[signature]
Thanks for the Info. As far as a real Flats boat like a Actioncraft Flatsmaster, Hewes Redfisher etc...Stuff like that....would they be able to handle getting a little off shore on a calm day?
[signature]
i would say yes
[signature]
I agree with Tomc, with my Lund I have to pick my days to wonder outside the bays.
[signature]
What's the budget cap you're looking at, flyguy?
[signature]
My budget cap is about $ 10000. Im looking for something used but in good shape. Like i said Ive never really fished or even taking a ride in a flats boat. They look like they would make good boats for the type of fishing im into. I also have a pretty small truck so I dont want to be hauling a beast 3 hrs to the coast.
[signature]
Is 60-70mph a necessity or are you thinking more along the lines of effiecient?

What have you seen that you like?.. as far as layout features and such?..

Center console -or- side console?
More open lower deck with smaller casting platforms -or- large casting platforms?
How skinny of water do you want to run?
Where do you plan to store it? -the length might matter-
[signature]
No speed is not a big factor for me. I will mainly be fishing in the Charleston area. There are alot of flats there. I would prefer a large casting deck, I will be flyfishing. As far as side console vs Center. Im not sure. What are the advantages etc. As far as storage.....It will most likely just be covered with a boat cover. Alot of ppl I have talked to in Charleston..fish out of a Action Craft Flatsmaster...18 ft...looks like they have stopped building for now though.
[signature]
Well, to me the main advantage of a CC is the ability to walk both sides of the boat.. weight distribution under power and better side to side visibility could be considered advantages also.

sounds like you're looking at fishing flats more so I would tend to say stick with that general design. As tomc said It'll be fine to venture out on calm days but you might get a little jittery when a big cruiser tosses up a 4-5' wake.

Sounds as if the fishermen in your area have found a good thing in the Action Crafts .. might want to visit a couple boat ramps to get some feedback from the actual owners when they're putting in or taking out.

One thing I'd make sure to ask is about the motor/hp they're running to power the boat. Sinced underpowering a boat isn't efficient and results in poor performance the same is true with whopping 200hp v-6's.. to me hitting the balance between there is the key to both "practical" performance and efficiency.. propping correctly and engine height are factors too but generally getting the right hp is your main concern. Dialing in the correct prop and engine height is fine tuning after the fact.

Have you been on one yet?
[signature]