Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No rod in my mouth
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"][cool][font "Poor Richard"][green]I wasn’t born with a fly rod in my mouth & my Mother was certainly glad of that. Anyhow when I first got into fly fishing I had no idea that there was more to it than buying a rod & reel. The fellow at the fly shop suggested an 8½’ 6wt rod with a wt. forward floating line. Got several flies that he suggested and off I went. Oh yes he did give me a 5 minute lesson on casting. First few times out I got skunked. I really didn't know what the heck I was doing. I know that there were cutts & bows present for I caught several with my spinning gear. I read up on fly casting, matching the hatch and everything in between. I finally started catching some fish. Several years later I bought a book on entomology so I could tell what the heck I was looking at and the flies that they represented. That process was too confusing for I didn’t have the patience to memorize all their names and physical form. So I then proceeded to concentrate with working with three insects at a time. They were the Mayfly, Stonefly & Caddis. I think of the Mayfly as having a majestic form, the stonefly as being flat as a stone and the caddis representing a tent. May sound silly but that is how I learn things by [/green][/font][/font][font "Times New Roman"][font "Poor Richard"][green]association. But what has really helped me gain a better appreciation for the sport is when I decided to tie my own flies. Prior to that I couldn’t tell you what the heck a marabou was or if dubbing had something to do with my stereo system. Maybe I don’t catch as many fish as when I was spin fishing but fly fishing is certainly a much more rewarding experience. Perhaps my story will help enlighten someone new to fly fishing for everyone has to start someplace[/green][/font].[/font][/size] [center]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=27229;][/center]
[signature]
DR
I hope that you are keeping tabs on all these subjects that you post so that you can refer others to them later on when they ask.

They certainly are good things to point new FF to.

dB
[signature]
[cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Thanks Scruffy_Fly. I know that some Fly Fisher-people have sort of a snooty attitude which may be inhibiting to the newbie. But that occurs in most sports or activities. No one starts at the top of the ladder so for the newbie, go out there and do your thing. It might help to picture those snooty nerds as wading in the nude. LOL[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
Wait a second.. I wade in the nude [Tongue][laugh][Tongue][pirate]
[signature]
[center][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][cool]You are too brave. I would be a bit concerned with those snapping turtles.[Wink][/size][/green][/font][/center]
[signature]
birddogwi; [size 1]Wait a second.. I wade in the nude [/size]
[size 1][/size]
[size 1]----------------------- [/size]
[size 1][/size]
[size 1]I will have to remember never to fish in WI.[unsure][/size]
[size 1][/size]
[size 1][/size]
[signature]
[laugh][laugh]
See, it's working already!!.. tends to keep folks away from my spots [Tongue]
[signature]
DR...

This is a great story.. and the association reference is excellent.. once again I have learned something just by reading this post.. thank you..

May I suggest that you set up a section on this site where stories such as these .. or at least the suggestions on remembering this or that can be all in one place. Kind of an on line reference library..

Now.. as far as the snooty guy go. ... they can plant a smooch on my big white wading behind.. lol. btw.. wear some athletic protection.. snapping turtles wont hurt you then.. [sly]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]