Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sage Grouse Help
I would really like to shoot a couple Sage Grouse this year and I have no idea where to find some. I'm getting my permits tomorrow and I need some help. Can anyone lead me in the direction of some Sage grouse? Come on, hook a fellow BFTer up. I promise I will only shoot two if you help me out.
I need to know what permit to get and where to go. I would really appreciate it and would be happy to help someone find some other game animals to shoot.
Thanks, Hookjaw[Wink]
[signature]
i used to hunt them up logan canyon Right hand, but alway had better luck up blacksmiths fork canyon (left hand) didnt have to go to far off the road, got most in the creek bed
[signature]
I think you may have been hunting Blue Grouse up in that area. There isn't an open area for Sage Grouse in Cache county. I have never heard of Sage Grouse in that area either so hopefully you were shooting Blues. Sage grouse are rare grouse found in only certain locations of Utah. You have to buy a separate tag (Other than small game) to hunt them. A person can only shoot two sage grouse per year, that is if they can get a permit.
But thanks for the info on the forest grouse location.
Hookjaw
[signature]
your probly right, it was my first time hunting
[signature]
Sent you a PM.
[signature]
SENT PM
[signature]
I didn't realize the tags were on sale. I literally seen in excess of 100 sage hens last year. They were everywhere and not hard to find. I wasn't hunting them but saw them during the elk hunt. Send me a PM and I will give you some info. But remember, when you shoot one of the stinking things, get it cleaned and on ice quickly.
Otherwise you will end up with a sagebrush sandwich [sly]
[signature]
COME UP TO WYOMING I CAN PUT YOU ON HUNDRED'S OF THEM NOT AS GOOD AAS IT USE TO BE BUT THERE ARE ATON OF BIRD'S AROUND THIS YR .ASH
[signature]
What are the regs on Sage Grouse in Wyoming? How much does it cost for a non-resident to hunt small game in Wyoming?
[signature]
Ash,

I'll come up, I'm retired, it's not like I have anything better to do. You can come here duck hunting on the airboat. I have 1 rule, you keep my ducks.

Scott
that is why I stopped hunting sky carp no one would take them and my dog's was allway's sick lol I will check on the none res stuff for you guy's ASH
[signature]
I have to look up the reg's but I think you can take home 3 a day and have 9 in possesion ok a combo small game and bird for nonres is 61$ a yr. daily is 16$ and a youth under 12-14 not sure is 40 $a yr and you hvae to get a consevation stamp which is 10.50 i have been seeing a lot of bird's around the lake but over by evanston mtn view and kemmer is awsome lot's of bird's but hay are about like killing sky carp you have to pay some one else to take them and to clean them but I guess thay are fun to kill ASH.
[signature]
[font "Times New Roman"][#808000][size 3]Ash I think it will be a good year for them. I have seen high numbers this year while scouting for the speed goat around the Carter Cedars. I also have seen a ton up by the Intake all the way down to Bridger Bute. The Pine Grouse are also really good up above Labarge and Kemmerer. I have the Judo tip all ready for them suckers.[/size][/#808000][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][#808000][size 3][/size][/#808000][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][#808000][size 3]Later[/size][/#808000][/font]
[signature]
with the great spring we had we should have got a real good hatch just hope them stupid hawk's and eagle's didnt kill to many some day thay are going to have to open a hunt for them if we want to keep eny upland game .the intake is allway's good and so is woody bench and over by whitney.ASH
[signature]
For those of you who are thinking about hunting sage grouse or chukars in western Box Elder county both species have had a terrible year with almost no successful nesting. People involved in the studies of both species have seen very few chicks. There are people that would like to see the chukar hunt closed for the season. At least in the western part of the state. gshorthair
[signature]
were else in utah can you hunt chuckar's do thay have eny huns eny place?
[signature]
There are many places to hunt Chukars and Sage grouse in Utah. Along the Wyoming line is a great place also over by vernal there is an excellent place but it is closed to hunting Sage grouse.
I have seen no problem at all with the Chukar populations in Box Elder county. I have heard of multiple sightings of Sage grouse also.
the winters have been consistantly mild for the last few years so I don't see why the pops would be down. Sounds like a plot to keep hunters away to me.
[signature]
Chukars also can be found along the wasatch front and in the uintah basin. We have huns in the northern counties like Box Elder and cache. The number of huns has been down for the past several years and all this hot dry weather won't help them come back this year. gshorthair
[signature]
EVEN WITH THE WET SPRING YOU THINK THE HATCHES AND ALL WERE BAD OR JUST TO MANY PREDATOR'S?THE HUNS ARE ONE I WOULD LOVE TO HUNT MY DAD RAISES ALL TYPE'S OF BIRD'S AND THE QUIAL AND THE HUNS AND CHUCS ARE MY FAVORITE ARE THERE STILL ALOT OF QUIAL AROUND IN UTAH I HUNTED IN SOUTHERN UTAH A FE WYR BACK WHAT A BALL MAN A DUDE BETTER BE ON HIS GAME TOOK ME TWO BOXS OF SHELL 'S AND A LOT OF MISSES BUT I STARTED WACKING THEM FUN FUN GREAT TIME'S.ASH
[signature]
I know there are studies going on in west Box Elder on both the sage grouse and chukar partridge. The are using several techniques and they are monitered weekly. The study has found nest failure in most birds with very few chicks with birds that hatched any at all. I think most of this has been caused by extreme heat that can kill the eggs before the hen starts to incubate them. If you are looking at the area around flaming gorge you don't get as hot and you could still have good production. I certainly hope that is the case. If sage grouse numbers drop much lower I think they will be placed on the protected list and that will eliminate all hunting activities.gshorthair
[signature]