Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boat safety?
I will be moving to virgina soon near the bay and concerned about fishing in the bay/ ocean. I currently have an 18' ranger bass boat and have never been on the big salty before. Is it safe/ insane to take my bass boat into the atlantic? I have a gps system and will get the maps loaded but I am concerned with how rough it gets? Also do you have to take a course to operate on the ocean? Thanks
[signature]
There are only certain days that the conditions would permit the safety for a Bass boat. I go through that on the West coast as well. I can safely find 4 days out of the year that I can get my boat out to the local islands.

On the East coast, the currants are much rougher and more dangerous for the average small boat.

Perhaps you could check the local Coast Guard regs for that state. That would probably give you the balance of the information that you need.

Thanks for your question and Welcome to the Big Fish Tackle message boards.[cool]
[signature]
Hey thanks for the info, I kinda figured that saltwater fishing was going to be expensive, having to take a look at buying a boat. When looking to purchase a boat that is ready for the open water, what kind of stuff should I check, in the fishing aspect, the safety stuff I can figure out. Should it come with outriggers and navonics or is this something that most people assume they have to add? What does repowering the engines mean when looking for a boat. Any particular lenght? Thanks a bunch
[signature]
Repowering referrs to the process of pre inspections after rebuilding the motor and replacing the power generator on a boat.

The power up process is done just before the Coast Guard inspection and assures that all items are functional.[cool]
[signature]
I am not an east coat boater, I do how ever fish the east cost of michigan, tho the water is not as big, we dont get white caps running in to shore unless we have a bad noreatern.

but with prevailing west winds, its always a good idea to check with the local coast guard and take what ever corses they suggest... Ya never know, ya just might save some ones life, maybe even your own....[Wink]
[signature]