Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Basic questions from a beginner!
Hey folks,

I just got back from the tackle shop with a brand new $40 dollar Daiwa fishing rod and a few hooks/sinkers. I've only gone fishing a handful of times with my father. We've been to Cabos twice, but normally fish off of jetties in a nearby harbor.

I'll be heading out to fish over the next few weeks without my father and need to learn the basics. I've set up my rod with a hook and sinker and tied both with the palomar knot. The sinker is about 1.5 ft from the hook. Is this an ideal setup?

I'm really unsure which knots to use and how far to tie the sinker from the hook. I've been looking online for jetty fishing "setups" and couldn't really find the help I needed. I would appreciate it if I could get some help from you guys.

Thanks and happy fishing!

Jason
[signature]
Welcome aboard and thanks for the question.

If you are fishing anywhere on the West Coast, the preferred set up would be the dropper loop. You can google the term "Dropper Loop" and it will show you exactly how to do it.

Where are you fishing at?[cool]
[signature]
Wow, thanks so much for the quick reply!

I'll soon be fishing in the Los Angeles/Newport area. My dad always took me to Dana Point Harbor (on the jetty), so that is where I will be going hopefully a few times a month. I've never really pier fished, but there's always the Newport/Huntington beach piers. Perhaps even Corona Del Mar!

I will look into the dropper loop. I've seen some diagrams and it seems more complex than the palomar knot. Once I make the dropper loop, how would I attach the sinker to it? Also, how far should I be placing the sinker from the hook?

Thanks again for your help!

Jason
[signature]
I am very familiar with that area. That is a good spot for Calico Bass and Sand Bass. During the summe there are all kinds of different fish in there too.

The sinker should be tied to the bottom of the line with a simple fishermans knot or even the clinch knot.

Tie the dropper loop at around 12 to 18 inches above for best results. Just leave a 4 inch loop to tie your hook onto.

Feel free to ask any more questions that you may have. It is good to see another SoCal member here.[cool]
[signature]
Wow, I guess I had my original setup a bit backwards!

So the hook should be relatively close to the line and not dangling a ways off correct?

Hope I can get this dropper loop down! The palomar knot is not too hard to tie, but the dropper looks a bit intimidating. I'll have to practice!

I'm guessing that with the 4" loop on the dropper loop, I should use the palomar knot to tie the hook on with right?

Thanks again for taking the time to help me out! Socal is a great place to live!

I'm really unfamiliar with most types of fish. Off of San Pedro, I caught a bunch of mackerel, few sea bass, and a barracuda. "Bass" always sounds like a tasty meal, but it's a shame we can't eat the fish from the Dana Point Harbor!

Jason
[signature]
As far as tying the hook to the line, you won't require any more knots. Simply slip the loop through the eye of the hook and loop the rest of the hook through the same loop.

I sometimes work as a deckhand on some boats. I can tie dropper loops with my eyes closed and make 2 of them on a single line in less than 30 seconds.

It just takes practice.[cool]
[signature]
Ahh, just a simple slip knot!

I'll have to practice working on the dropper loop.

This might be weird, but I'm still a bit afraid of getting hooked on my own hook :X

Well thanks again for your help!

The worker at the tackle shop said the tides will be awesome next week, so hopefully the fishing will be good then. BTW, I've been looking for tide tables for Dana Point Harbor, but there seem to be none. Should I just take a look at the Newport Beach data instead?

Jason
[signature]
Newport Beach is so close to Dana Point that there is no different tide table for the area. The table only changes based on how far away you are from an established point.

When gong north of that point, the tide is delayed. Just the opposite for he south.[cool]
[signature]
Thanks Steve!

I know the tides aren't too great this week, but I'm thinking about heading out this weekend anyways, just to get a feel for things.

BTW, I know this may seem very basic, but is there a reason for tying the sinker at the end of the line? I've noticed that when fishing off a boat, the weights were tied after the hook. Just wondering... Smile

Jason[reply]
[signature]
I like to put the weight first and tie it at the bottom. Then I use the weight as a third hand to assist in tying the dropper loop.

I will slip the weight in my pants pocket to hold it so that I can use both of my other hands to actually tie the knot. It also helps to get a better measurement as to how far up the line that I want to put the loop.

For jetty and surf fishing, 18 to 24 inches is the ideal height. When fishing deeper from a boat, you will do better with 2 hooks. The first one at 24 inches and the second one at 36 to 40 inches from the weight.[cool]
[signature]
Hey Steve,

Thanks again! So I'm guessing that it is more of a matter of preference than anything that is directly related to performance?

Thanks for spending the time to help me out. You have been very helpful!

Jason
[signature]
You are most welcome. We are all here to share with each other.

I hope you can catch some fish now.[cool]
[signature]
Sounds like you need to go to one of our get togethers, you will learn more there in one day than in years of trying to figure things out on your own
[signature]
Hey bendopolo. We are tearing up the Peacocks in HI. Good bite and lots of torn rubbers.[cool]
[signature]