Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Middle Provo
:#
[signature]
I would have figured a good BWO hatch with bright sun and warmer temps.[Sad]
[signature]
I have fished up there this winter and thought the same thing about the cars. However, it turns out most of the cars are from workers who either work at the dam or close by.

Schlitz-
[signature]
:#
[signature]
Hares ears are the only nymph i have had much success on and BWO's and griffith's gnats for dries.[cool]
[signature]
You probably won't see much in the way of BWO's or Baetis until late March. They really start hitting on the bad weather days in April. The bugs you want to focus on are midges. Get yourself a handful of zebra midges, and sow bugs and you will be able to catch fish year round. Griffith's Gnat is a great midge cluster pattern if they are rising. I fish mostly dry in the winter with crappy little bugs that come from my imagination. Don't be afraid to fish small either. A #20 will work, but might not be small enough. Try starting with a #24.
[signature]
Yep, Blue Wings Olives may not be the ticket quite yet. Midges in all their stages will be what you want. They do tend to be on the small side but it can be alot of fun catching a big fish on a tiny tiny fly.

You will want to stay fairy light on you leaders and tippets and look for water that has some depth to it. Fish are fairly lethargic during the winter and are looking to conserve energy so back eddies or slack/pocket-water will be where they are holding up. Unless you see them rising get the fly down and fish it slow.

Sow bugs and scuds are also year around producers.If you need more info as to what to use let me know and maybe I can meet up with you and provide some flies for you to try.

Schlitz-
[signature]
Check out the Sunset sowbug: http://www.utahonthefly.com/flytying/flyarchive/ssb.htm

This fly kicks ars. Even in the film of the water.
[signature]