Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Green river help
So after looking into some guides, it looks like that it might be more than we can spend right now. My buddy and I are probably just going to do a DIY walk and wade trip. Now neither one of us are very experienced on the Green and we are wondering if anyone would offer up and tips on what flies to use and maybe even how to fish them. We are planning on going around the middle of April. We are planning on fly fishing mostly but we are going to take spinning gear just in case.
Also how far down from Little Hole can you walk and fish and how far below the dam can you walk and fish?

Thanks!
[signature]
Not sure how far you can walk down from Little hole I have only walked down that way a couple miles. You can walk the trail from the dam all the way to little hole. I suggest that you walk 1 mile down from the dam or a mile either way from little hole. The fish tend to be more uniform in size (usually nice sized fish) between the dam and little hole and very in size, catching smaller and larger fish below little hole. Nymph midge imitations sizes 18-22 such as brassie,zebra,scuds and small pheasant tails. on the surface Blue wing olive imitations 18-22 also for a little bigger dry to try use size 14 blow fly and even if it is not in season a joes hopper as an attractor fly. it will be to early for Cicadas but you could also use a chernoble ant. For your spin rod... Cream brand natural color night crawlers are a hoot! (second from the smallest size). But I have never used them there before[Wink]
[signature]
HFT has good suggestions.

I fish the Green usually once a year and it's at that time of year. You will run into some BWO hatches but in the past they haven't been that great. Make sure you take some good dry and especially emerger patterns.

You'll want to fish midges mostly. There are big midge hatches that go on almost everyday. You need dries, clusters, and emergers. You better make them small and by small I mean down to 30! If you need some good patterns get a hold of Tubedud, you won't be sorry.
[signature]
I usually float the green on my pontoon boat a couple of times a year... I have found that the location is not as important as the presentation.. after I float the river I usually end up going back and fishing the A section right below the dam, sometimes not more than a hundred yards from the launch ramp...

this time of the year depth is critical... I have had good luck with a pheasant tail followed by a little gt's perfect... i just keep adding tiny amounts of weight until I find where the fish are feeding... most of the time I can see the fish but the depth is still what gets me into them...

I also like brassies and wd 40's, smaller is usually better, especially in the A section...
[signature]
always pack scuds/ sows in size 14-22 and tons of san juans it will still be pre-runoff but those fish love san juans, streamers and buggers will work well also. whats nice about the green is there is so many fish that basically every method works. i love it because i can fish a midge dry 8 straight hours.
[signature]
This is my favorite time of the year to hit the river, in fact we are heading down to Browns park on thur for three days. I believe what you use depends on where you fish. the A and B tend to have more rainbows (the furture downstream you go , the higher number of browns you'll encounter.) Personally I prefer the C section at this time of year, No crowds, miles of drive to fishable waters, nice campground, abundant wildlife, warmer temps. The Browns will be agressive for streamers, as well as the above mentioned fly patterns. For spin gear try repalas in blue/white, black/white, rainbow, or brown trout. Use 4" countdown with nothing else on your line i.e. swivels, weights ect.... I also have done far better for larger fish at browns park. (I believe due to less pressure,more feed, and less fish for compition)That being said, If you head to the C section, check river conditions (call the colorado f&g browns park wild life refuge to see if red creek has the river muddy.

Hope this helps. If you happen to go this week end look for us in the campground by the bridge we go every year at this time the year and we have alot fun even if the fishing is'nt great. Your welcome to join us.
[signature]
i've always fished little hole, i haven't every gotten into the b or c but i would love to, where does the c section technically start. does it start in colorado?
[signature]
You have to drive past the little hole turn off toward rock springs 10 to 12 miles and theres a road to the right (partial pavement and partial well traveled plowed road base road) which takes you down to browns park (about 20 miles to the river) The C section starts at the bridge that crosses the river at jarvie historical ranch. Your in utah from there about 20-25 miles downstream. The browns park road will take you out to maybell/craig colorado. You can also access browns park much quicker from vernal durring the summer by going over diamond mountain (dirt road) If you go in the summer , don't forget to take lots of terrestials, as well as anything resembling a small frog or tadpole. The area is open land rather than steep canyons with great road access. (at no fee) 90% browns with a few rainbows and an occasional cut. It takes a little time to learn the best stretches but it's well worth it. (always keeps me driving the extra beyond A and B). And on most days 4-5 other fisherman is a busy day. I've never understood why more don't utilize it. Good luck Lonnie
[signature]
Yes, make sure you bring your fly rod with some BWO patterns in various sizes. Don't let the weather discourage you either. Last year I headed up around the same time as you are going and it had been snowing in the morning and turned into rain later when we were on the river. For some reason the BWO love bad weather, at least on the Green. We hiked about a mile up from little hole and the BWO hatch went nuts for a few hours in the rain. Bring a good rain jacket just in case.

Yeah, listen to everything that has been said so far...good advice. You can fish that river so many different ways. Good luck!
[signature]