Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coming for a visit
It's o-fish-al I'm heading out to Denver for the Junior Olympics qualifier. My daughter is an Outside Hitter for the Rip Curls Volleyball team from Anaheim CA. I will be arriving next Friday and will stay until Tuesday. As with all my travels I will be packing a Pontoon and all the neccessary tackle required. I usually fish at night due to the Volleyball requirements. My questions are:
1.) Legal to fish at night there? ( still going to fish, just like to know how low profile I need to be.
2.) Great places to maybe catch a Mack close by? I don't care how big, just never caught one.
3.) Maybe you fishing locals have a better idea? ( early pike, ice bass, etc)
4.) Should I just drink and party with the crowd 'cause it's so frickin cold? ( I'm sitting here in a swimsuit in 80 degree weather now.)
I'll be driving out in a Chevy 2500 HD extracab w/ a full height shell so there is plenty of room should one of you gentlemen ( or gentlewomen) desire to accompany me on an excursion one evening or afternoon. I make it my lifes work to be fun to fish with so its a guaranteed good time no matter. Worst case- we get skunked, freeze our toes off and end up in a bar telling fishing stories. Best case, I catch a Mack, get a picture and brag to all of California how great my 'Guide' was.
[signature]
As far as macks go, the only lakes I know that have them are quite a drive, as far as night fishing, last year we kept my boat on the water at night and fished and fished little ponds at night for catfish, I know some areas you can not fish at night but they are all in Boulder. I don't know anywhere close by that all the ice is off or else I would say lets get together on the weekend and we could take my boat out, but there are some lakes with the ice almost off but these lakes will not let any boats on some of their water that create wakes on the water. This time of year I usually go after trout, they seem like the only type of fish I can catch durning this time of year. If you end up fishing down here I wish you luck and congratulations to your daughter and good luck to her also.
[signature]
Thanks Jason, perhaps I'm a little more optimistic about fishing this trip than I should be. Would they let me put my 'toon in? No wake. The closest lake I found with Macks was Gross Res. Iced Over eh? I'll catch anything so if you get a wild hair we can still tube or shorefish somewhere for awhile in the early morning or sunset depending on how well our team does. Maybe just a little locals advice on the best place to try, River, Lake, or Stream.
[signature]
Yes you could go out in a no wake lake with your toon. Good luck and let me know how you do.
[signature]
I'm looking to get my tube out at Standley Lake this weekend (as mentioned in my post here). I've never fished it but it holds the Colorado record for Walleye! Still some ice but plenty of open water to be fished! I'm not necessarily targeting walleyes specifically either, just whatever I can get into. Trout, smallies, walleyes and cats, sorry no Macs though... Lures, drop-shotting, maybe even some bait...

Weather from 40 to 50 degF and winds don't look like they'll be too bad. Close to Denver. Close to some bars[Wink]. Let me know if you're interested.
-jeff
[signature]
Check your private msgs....[cool]
[signature]
Thanks for eveything Jeff, you made a great guide. The results were 9 rainbow trout, 1 brwn lost at 'toonside, 1 saugeye, 1 walleye. Not a great number of fish but better than nothin'. The full story of death defying cold, frozen lakes, and living in a Frat house at CU, will be coming shortly.
[signature]
No Problem Jim. Wish I could have gotten us on more fish, but either way it was still good times. Maybe I should've just sacked up and gone to check the inlet at Gross! Anyhow, good to have met you Jim. Hope the rest of the volleyball tourney went well. And I'll be hitting you up next time I'm out in SoCal.
-jeff
[signature]