Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sow bugs
I have a question about tying sow bugs. Does anyone use a Flash back or a backing at all? i was just looking to make mine look better i dont have backs on mine now i was just thinking of trying something different.
[signature]
There are patterns that add a strip of flash down the back. I am thinking about adding this to mine and seeing how they produce compared to the non flashed ones.

Schlitz-
[signature]
Try red backs. Red flashabou, anrton yarn, biots, etc all make great backs.
[signature]
I tie all of my sow bugs with some sort of backing. I haven't really tried anything in a flashback, but I really like using a small strip cut from a thick freezer zip lock bag. I really like the shape it gives the fly, plus, in my opinion, it gives the fly a little more durability.
[signature]
Try just a PEACOCK HERL down the back
[signature]
do you usually weight you sows?
[signature]
I weight my sow bugs so I can smash down the wire wrap to make a nice flat back.
[signature]
same here.
[signature]
when the waters murky i like fishing size 12-16 flash back sows, i make the dubbing come out the side's then i'll move across the current a little. other then that i havent had great luck with the flash back. i just use a dubbing with a little sparckle dubbung in it.
[signature]
I always use a flashback . even if I just use a black magic marker.
[signature]