Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another fishing line question
I have noticed that there seems to be a fair amount of "HI-VISE" lines coming to market. And it got me thinking what is this for? Is it so that the visually challenged? Is it just clever marketing? I know you can add a leader and than that makes a short length of line "invisible" to the fish. Anyone have any thoughts on the subject? What would this line excel at, other than to catch fisher people?

Majja
[signature]
What do you mean? Is this new thing some kind of highly visible line or the opposite? Are you asking for invisible leaders on very visible line?
[signature]
I have only ever used Hi-Vis line. 30 years or more and love it. My dad taught me to use it so hes probably used it at least 40 years now. Stren 8# Hi-Vis gold is my prefered line of choice.

I've fished side by side with other people using regular or low-vis line and have always caught equal or more fish so the color of the line itself is irrelevant to the fish being caught.

What Hi-vis gives me though, is the ability to watch my line in the water react to currents, wind, and extremely light nibbles to bait. I've caught countless fish where I've watched the line start to move through the water, or coils start to pull straight, long before there is any indication on the rod tip that there is a bite in progress.

Its certainly a subject I'm sure people will love it or hate it, but I cant imagine not using it. /shrug

Side note, its annoying that Cabelas is constantly sold out on the Hi-vis stuff in 8# test. Their fishing manager even told me once when I special ordered some in, that hes surprised they sell so much of it. I then countered by saying "Well if you sell so damn much of it keep more in stock!" [cool]

I bought several years worth of line last spring when they got in an order so I'm good for a while

[fishon]

-DallanC
[signature]
Line Dangler I am talking the Bright Green, Orange, Gold ect.

[inline "Hivise yellow.jpg"]
[signature]
For some people its easier to see the line move or jump then fell the bite...

And I like to use it so I can fell the light bites better but I use a leader too...
[signature]
[#804000]I fish with a fly and a bubble a lot, and I'm guessing I would miss half of the strikes if I could not detect the line movement.......It's like a strike indicator to a fly fisherman on a stream.......The diameter of lines are getting smaller and smaller and my eyes are geting older and older.......I too, use the smallest diameter flouro leader that I can get away with.[/#804000]
[signature]
In that case, it is a matter of personal preference. No matter what line I use, I always tine on 3-4 feet or more of 100% flourocarbon leader. I love Powerbo Braided Microfilament 20-30 lbs, best dang line around, I tell you what.
[signature]
Just curious, what knot do you use for your leader? What line and poundage of leader do you use? Have you ever lost fish to the knot? You get a hit and or even a fish on and reel in to find a crimple on the end of the powerpro? thanks.
[signature]
People use the hi-vis line when flipping or pitching. Alot of times a bass will take your jig and go to deeper water and you'll never feel a strike, you just have to watch your line. I like to use a fluorocarbon leader with braided line. I like to use a small swivel to join the leader to the braid.
[signature]
I use PowerPro Braided Monofilament for the main line 20-30 lb test. Then I use either 12 or 20-25 lbs Pline or another 100% flourocarbon. I tie it on with a blood knot, line to line, if you do it slow and right, it is very good 100% of original strength. There are other good knots too, but can't recall at this time, maybe lateer. Tie it 3-4 feet long, and as long as you do not reel in to the spool, you should not have any problems with the knot getting stuck. When you cast, same thing, just let out some line until the knot is free, and clear of the circular line guides on your rod, depending on what design rod you have. I have not lost a fish with a properly tied mono to braided line knot. If you get a big fish, retie the knot, just to be safe.[Smile]
[signature]
I always use a double uni.
[signature]
Thanks for the info.[Smile]
[signature]
I personally would never use a high-vis line unless I used a low-vis or fluorocarbon leader. Virtually all my fishing is with light (1/32-1/16 ounce) jigs in clear water for trout. I want my jig tied directly to my main line with no leader. More knots mean more problems. I guess if your vision is impaired it might be neccessary to go to hi-vis, but tying a leader on for my style of fishing would be foolish. Best line for my style is P-Line CXX in Moss Green. Fine diameter, super strong, and very limp and castable. Everything I need to flip those tiny jigs as far as possible. Expensive, but worth it.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2][#002850]Fish-or-die,

[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=249773#249773"]Here is a pretty decent thread about tying to lines together[/url] ... mainly braded to flouro:[/#002850][/size][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2][#002850][/#002850][/size][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2][#002850][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=249773#249773"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=249773#249773[/url]

[/#002850][/size][/font]
[signature]
I just remembered, I also use the Double Improved Clinch Knot when tying the lure to the flourocarbon, and another good knot for tying the two lines together. It is the Nail Knot or Tube Knot. It is also a 100% of the line strenght knot, however it is hard to learn and tie. So a very rarely use it, in fact I have forgotten how to tie it altogether, now that I recall. I would suggest using these knot books: Tying Strong Fishing Knots, by Bill Herzog, and Guide to Saltwater Fishing Knots for Gear and Fly Fishing, by Larry V. Notley. Both are great knots that cover all you will probably need.
[signature]
[black][size 3]Dangler,[/size][/black]
[size 3]You blow my mind. I have a few questions. [/size]
[size 3]What are you using 30 lb test line to fish for?[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]If you snag 30 lb test line, how do you get it free?[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]And lastly, I think that you should rethink your use of the nail knot, or at least look it up to see how it's tied, and what it's used for.[/size]
[size 3][/size]

[size 3][/size]
[signature]
I use 20 and 30 lbs pound braided for mainly two reasons. Firts, I do not use Downriggers. That is my personal preference, and that is how I was advised by expert lake trout fisherman who do fishing up in Canadian lakes, like Great Slave Lake and Great Bear Lake and others. I put these lines in my trolling reels, and it gives me a sense of security knowing that 3-5 oz weight plus a 15-20 pound fish will not break my line. It would be Sad to loose my lure and fish because my line was a little cut somewhere, perhaps by me or my equipment. A little thicker line will avoid this. Second, the 20 lbs braided is only 6 pound diameter, and the 30 is only 8 pound. I can still fit alot of line and have more assurance that nothing will break. Braided line also lasts a long time, so I use my reels at Lake Powell. Big catfish have immense strength. You will not believe how they will snap "strong" line. Because I fish for catfish on the bottom (mostly), casting and re-baiting take their toll on a line, and stronger line avoids the need to cut sections so often. That way it is cheaper too.

As for the Nail or Tube knot, yes, it is mainly a Fly line knot. But, if on rare occasions, I want to tie on a leader to my 6-12 lbs braided line, I use it. You get a much cleaner and smaller "bump" in your line, which does not get stuck as easily in the reel, if it gets there.

If I snag with 30 pound line, I just back up and turn my boat around. Most of the time, I would say 98-99% of the time, it just comes free then. Sometimes I have to pull harder, and in that case I just replace my leader or retie it and my lure or jig. This sure beats dealing with leadcore or some kind of steel line for downriggers. Plus, it is strong enough to troll deep with. 60-80 feet is no problem, without downriggers. I am not a pro, so every little extra-strength thing will help me until I learn better. We all have plenty of stories about how the big one got away, it may sound funny but I would like to avoid this.[blush]
[signature]
They just ran a knot strength competition on North American Fisherman TV and the Blood knot and Uni to Uni tied for first place leader to line in knot strength. They tested flouro, mono and high tech braids. I have gone to braids on most of my reels with a flouro leader. Trolling rods I use a swivel - casting I use a blood knot. I like the braids for their durability - I have a couple of trolling reels with 4 yr old line on them and it is still good. I have caught some big cats and pike now with the blood knot leader and I'm not afraid of it if it is tied correctly. Just remember that the knot strength will not equal the line strength no matter how good you think it is - if I remember correctly they were using 14 lb test line and the best knots were giving the ghost at about 10-11 lbs.
[signature]
True. True. Another reason I use a little stronger line. 20 lb wil really be 14-16lbs, like yous said. 30 lb will be 24-26 too.
[signature]
"[size 1]Plus, it is strong enough to troll deep with. 60-80 feet is no problem, without downriggers"[/size]
[size 1][/size]
[size 1]How do you troll that deep without downriggers?[/size]
[signature]