Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yuba 4 April
You know that the fishing is terribly slow, that the water is too cold and the fish are simply not biting, but you convince yourself that either you can catch fish when no one else can or that the conditions have changed and the bite is on.

With all the turmoil about the walleye showing up in the DWR's nets we decided to take the boat and go down Friday.

It was late morning when we arrived and there were 6 or 7 trucks with boat trailers behind in the parking lot, as we had expected. The Utah state parks ranger told us that the fishing had been very slow, but lots of walleye and a couple of northerns showed up in the gill net samples. The vast majority, he stated, were male walleye.

After the BS session we hit the water about 11:30 trolling north along the shoreline. Water temp was 40-41 degrees. Way to cold for good fishing.

We trolled and cast lures from the launch ramp at Oasis all the way to painted rocks and the nearby island arriving there at 4:30. We did not have a single strike. We were concentrating our efforts on northerns, but thought we might pick up a walleye or a trout. This was not to be the case.

There was a slight breeze across the water making it necesary to have a jacket on.

This is the third time I have fished Yuba this year without a bite. An intelligent man would quit until the warmer waters of May, but not me. I don't seem to learn.

I believe Yuba will be a very good fishing hole when the water warms up 10 degrees or so in May. The walleye and perch fishery should be excellent. The rainbow fishery is pretty much history. The majority were caught out and many probably died with the low warm waters of August or at least that is the theory of the UDWR.

I think the northern fishery will remain about the same with a few taken by anglers who target them. The few that showed up in the states nets were small,(18 to 20 inches) but there are, no doubt, some real trophies in there.

Having said all of this, I will probably return again, before the warmer waters of May, simply because I don't have better sense and the sirens call becons me back to pursue the elusive northern well before they are ready. Besides I don't have anything better to do while I wait for the other lakes and reservoirs to give up the ice. Keep the wind to your back.

As a footnote, no one else that we spoke to had caught any fish. In fact none had so much as a bite. The DWR had a net in the shallows of North Beach for 3 hours and when they pulled it there were 17 male walleye in the net and yet the guys fishing right there in that area couldn't buy a bite.
[signature]
[black][size 3]Good report and observations.[/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]The fish are there, but just have a little case of lock jaw. Even in cold water, fish eat. They do have a slowed metabolism, but still must eat. Just a matter of finding something that will turn them on.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]Even though you have not had good success fishing Yuba to date, Karma is going to catch up with you sooner or later.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]I suspect that you're right about the water temperature, and when it changes, the fish there are going to be on the bite, big time.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]Looking forward to a more favorable report in the near future.[/size]
[size 3][/size]

[size 3][/size]
[size 3][/size]
[signature]
I too, would like to compliment your observations and report. Nothing should keep you from coming back though, even before the water temperature warms up. Sometimes the Canadian side of Lake Ontario suprises many a walleye angler in similar cold temperatures. For a reason that I do not know, or probably do not remember, some years or days, the guys there just knock them dead using spoons during the night. But then again, it may have something to do with the forage fish patterns in Lake Ontario. You never know though, when you just might have a real pleasant cold surprise. Keep on fishin'.[Wink]
[signature]
How full is the lake???

How deep was the water you was in???
[signature]
Dont get discouraged those yuba walleyes can be frustrating to catch sometimes.The right bait the right size the right retreive and the right color etc..... that is how you catch them this time of year. I caught my biggest walleye this time of year while fishing for pike i was using a huge chartreuse lure . It was the right circumstances i guess.Now is a good time to find those places were they might hang out at and set your GPS to those spots.I am curious to find out if they are going to be hanging out in the usual places since the yuba got drained.Just because other peple are not catching fish doesnt mean that the fishing is bad.
[signature]
We were fishing relatively tight to the shore. depth averaged 10 feet. We were casting in to the little bit of plant life that is in the water. Willow and tamarisk. In past years, the areas we fished have been good for northerns. I would guess that the reservoir can raise another 5 feet or so, but that is just a guess. I should have paid attention to the elevation on the GPS.

I've been thinking about taking a trailer down there and staying two or three days and try a little night fishing, but I think I will wait a couple of weeks until the night time tempatures get in the 40's.

I truly believe that when Yuba turns on it will be incredible fishing for walleye and perch. The reservoir should fill up completely and provide good spawning cover for the fry and prolong the good fishing or delay the inevitable bust, whichever way you want to look at it.

The last time it was really good fishing I didn't take advantage of it. I can't change that but I can make sure I fish it while the gettin' is good. Keep the wind to your back.
[signature]
Fished it today water temp 41 at daylight - 44 when we left at 3:00. Walleye - what walleye [Tongue] LOL Fished deep and fished shallow - 5-10 ft. We only had one bite all day and a 24"+ pike broke off at the boat. Tried to find some perchies to play and everything has lock jaw right now. Found them & watched them come and check the jig off the bottom but no bite. Several boats out and quite few bank fishermen and I did not see any fish caught. Come on sunshine!

I estimate the lake to be about 8-15 ft from full - but there is a lot of water in that last 10 ft - plenty of cover under water for the fry to hide when they spawn & plenty of cover for the jb pike to lay in when it gets warm enough.
[signature]
I also fished Yuba 4/4 from 12:15 - 4:15 at Painted Rocks. I tubed near the island and along the shoreline heading north. I saw the DWR and their net near the island. I didn't have a nibble, either. I fished in 8-30' of water with a full-sink line, slowly jigging or trolling wooly buggers of varying colors. Oh well, there's always next time. It's a nice place.
[signature]