Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
vest, pack, or lanyard??
Hello everyone,
Just a quick question about gear. Imagine you're starting over from scratch with wearable equipment. Is it better to go with a gear lanyard, a pack type vest, or the traditional fly vest? What kind of stuff would you want to have on or in your new garb?
[signature]
[cool][font "Pristina"][green][size 4]Hi there jbaldwinblkft thanks for dropping in & for your question. A while back we hashed this subject around and was not surprised to find out why they make so many different forms of fly fishing gear. Here is the link. Please feel free to discuss what might be your preference. BTW you certainly have some nice trout waters where you live. Needless to say that I'm rather jealous.[/size][/green][/font]

[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=283919;search_string=vest;#283919"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=283919;search_string=vest;#283919[/url]
[signature]
Yes, there are some great waters here. I try and get on them as often as I can. I'm between vests at the moment, and considered getting a lanyard. The thing I wonder about is it's propensity to flop and hang downward when a person is stooped over (for various reasons).[Wink]
[signature]
the lanyard I bought a while back had a small plastic clip (like those you see on an id card of say nurses or doctors).. I use that clip to secure my lanyard to my shirt ... stops it from bouncing around to much...

last year I semi transitioned over to the [url "http://www.orvis.com/store/product_choice.asp?pf_id=96Y1&feature_id=&dir_id=758&group_id=781&cat_id=5093&subcat_id=6670"][black][size 3]Safe Passage Sling Pack[/size][/black][/url] from Orvis.. I am able to carry several boxes of flies.. tippet.. extra leaders.. tools.. a bottled drink and still have room.. it is amazing roomy for what looks to be a small package.. this is the newer model from mine and seems to have added a tippet dispenser on the front.. mine did not come with a dispenser like that...

MacFly
[signature]
Hey thanks macfly55
It looks like a handy item. Sometimes I get a little overheated and sweaty (either when the fishing is really good or very poor) so having something that helps stay cool seems like a plus to me.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]I always have my Landyard, even on my Pontoon or tube. It just puts every thing right there.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]I have a couple of vest, a fanny pack, a couple of chest packs, even a Hydration backpack fly vest thing (all the pockets for gear in the front and sides.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]But, after guiding for a couple of years and packing water for clients, the fanny pack got real heavy on my hips so I ended up clipping it together and hanging it on my shoulder, that is when I bought the same sling as Mac. That is all I use now.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][/size][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Welcome to the site and look forward to hearing more from you. Pictures are good also.[cool][/size][/font]
[signature]
[font "Pristina"][green][size 4][cool]Like I said everyone has their preference as to what is comfortable for them. I just happen to prefer the vest. Like a jacket with a lot of pockets I have lots of storage room and that big pocket in the back can hold a rain jacket just in case! In addition to my fishing net clipped to a back ring, I also attach my walking staff. Have yet to figure out where I can store my float tube. LOL Good luck in making your decision.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
I use a vest to put all my tools and goodies in and I will sometimes hang a lanyard around my neck with just the clips.

The clips help to hold onto the pull rings of my beer cans.[cool]
[signature]
I prefer a chest pack with small back pack, I have everything right in front of me One of the pockets folds down and creates a flat surface helpful when trying your flies to your line I use zingers clipped on the sides for my tools \tippet post. I like the back pack so if it get too hot I can stuff my jacket in the back. Also holds a hydration pack and I stuff a snack (or Beer) in there.

Heres a picture of it
[signature]
I do not have a pack, but I think the lanyard is indispensable. I love having my clippers, pliars, tippet, floatant, etc.. right in front of me. I usually wear, my vest, but on on hot days when I am fishing creeks I wear a fanny pack.

Windriver
[signature]
The chest packs are a great choice, specially for wading deeper water where a Fanny Pack is going to get wet as will a longer vest.
Being a woman is why I don't wear the chest packs that often. I have the Orvis and the WJ along with a small FishPond, but all sit out so far that I can't see my feet, and walking rivers that is kinda a must![cool]
[signature]
I have that same problem too... but not for the same reasons as you.. several years ago I was diagnozed with that dunlops disease.. Ive been having these type of problems ever since...

MacFly [Image: fish-on.gif]
[signature]
Generally I'm a minimalist and try to carry only necessities but we all know the necessities in fishing can be daunting. I've never been a fan of lanyards, vest or fannypacks. The orvis front/back vest looks alright though.

I have a CamelPak that's about 10+ years old that I have designated my fly fishing pack. I usually carry 2-3 fly boxes, a plethora of tippets, a few bottles of floatant, a few leaders, a pair of needle-nose pliers and a camera.

Work fer me!
[signature]
I have a chest pack but don't use it. I have a vest that I generally use. But I have all those essential tools like tippet, floatant, nipper, clip to hold small flies while changing tippet hanging outside the vest so they are in quick access. Then there is all that other stuff I have. My vest I bet weights 20 lbs. But I regret it if I don't have all my "stuff" cause there is something in there that I never thing to use until I don't have the vest. Then I am saying "dag nabbit"

If I am hiking a ways to fish then I pare it all down to some very basic essentials such as water, a compass and fire starter stuff and a box of flies and my fishing multitool. Whatever else I can put in the day pack which is mostly taken up with waders and boots and a light rain jacket. Maybe a sandwich.
[signature]
[center][font "Pristina"][green][size 4][cool]Sounds like you have my vest on Scruffy_Fly. [/size][/green][/font][/center] [center][font "Pristina"][green][size 4]Once I get settled in the water I don't want to make a trip back to the car because I forgot something. I even have a few pockets in my waders.[/size][/green][/font][/center] [center][font "Pristina"][green][size 4][Image: fish-on.gif][/size][/green][/font][/center]
[signature]
That was my problem, the vest ended up weighing more than I do! I realized I didn't need five spare spools and reels plus the vise and all the tying material.
I have now down sized to the sling, first pocket (the one that comes off and can be attached anywhere there is a loop,) has my split shot, leaders, a couple of strike indicators and floatant, plus my water proof camera. Second Pocket has about 5 of those small compartment boxes with designated flies in each. Big pouch, more indicators, plus the box with the threaders for the really tiny guys and a box for BIG flies like muddlers and woollys, some mucilin and my landyard till I put it on. Room for two water bottles and a bag of jerky. I have a towel on the net "D" ring and my net clipped on. On the strap, a Zipka headlamp and ear muffs (those 20/20 that collaps real small. I also have room in the big bag for a spare reel. This is the extreme, but I can grab it and go anytime. The wide sling strap and the waist strap make it very comfortable.
[signature]
[black]You all are amazing! Great information for a rookie. FGD, you metion a waterproof camera. I know of the one-time-use waterproofed ones. Is that what you take? Or is there a waterproof digital? [/black]
[signature]
There are several on the market. Mine is an older Pentax digital. something like a 30 WR. Not the best all around function, but great for the guide trips and underwater shots.
[Image: 04-10-0804.jpg]
[signature]
..sis are you showing off your toys again.. [laugh]..

MacFly [Image: fish-on.gif]
[signature]
NEW! This is old, specially in the electronic world. Actually it is the 43wr. I bought it the same time I bought my Pentax Si which I loved, but it drown.
Alan got a new camera, so I got the 43wr. It sucks on close ups so I got the Olympus for Christmas, but I am not crazy about the new cameras not having a view finder.
I can't tell who is calling on my cell phone during the day so what makes them think we can see what we want a picture of. That 4" screen doesn't help either. Just 4" of BLACK in the sun. And Polorized sunglasses, forget it. you can't see gas pumps with those things on!

Am I ranting[mad]
[signature]