Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
tiger Musky/ pineview
[#808000][font "Century Gothic"][size 3]Has anyone been to pineview reservior lately? Has the ice melted? Any open water? I have caught tiger musky on my fly rod the last two years there towards the end of may. I was wondering if there is open water on pineview right now.
I would like to try for tigers ealier this year to see if they are trying to catch some early season sun......laffin
[/size][/font][/#808000]
[signature]
It's all off and clear, has been for a couple weeks now. water rising pretty fast. I was there this morning for an hour, had one on then off and one followed me for a while.
[signature]
Thanks for the info...
I am going to try and make it up next week if this lovely white stuff I have on my lawn goes away. Or maybe I could just put on cross country skis and get to the lake quicker.
[signature]
All of the ice is off. I am heading up there tomorrow. I just bought a new 8wt fly rod to give it a try. Let me know if you are interested in going.
[signature]
Yes, I would be interested....
What did you have in mind....walking the shore.....I have float tube and pontoon, but no boat. I have done ok just walking the shore lines in a couple of areas.
Get back with me here and we can work out details.
[cool] I love those toothy critters. They are so unpredictable.
[signature]
Never done Pineview on a fly, what is your rig like?
[signature]
My personal fly rod is a 9 wt. But an 8 wt fly rod would do just fine. Even a 6wt fly rod would throw most of the flies needed to catch tigers. But to make life easier to cast the big flies and have power to somewhat control the bigger tiger musky an 8 or 9 weight is recommended.
I tie my own flies and if others are interested I have included
a few pictures. But, a large clouser minnow pattern will work fine also and has worked for a couple of us in the past.
I also use a floating line and/or a sink tip line for casting to the tigers. If I were to troll I would prefer a full sink line.
I use a 6' bass leader or just 6' of 25 or 30# monofiliment with 18" to 24" of surflon knotable steel leader tied from the leader to the fly completes my outfit.
if you have other questions let me know.
The slam of a tiger musky hitting the fly is quite rush.......
Just talking here is making the heart go faster.
[Wink]
[signature]
This is getting me all excited as well. Who wants to go tomorrow? Cmon, there has to be some takers.
[signature]